Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Have you ever thought about how much you know about gardening?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever thought about how much you know about gardening? Sign In/Join 
Picture of nance425
posted
As I talk with friends and neighbors, they are amazed at what I know about plants, their names, putting newspapers down under the mulch, putting netting over broccoli plants (which I didn't this year cuz the time got away), about burying tomato stems deep when planting, alfalfa tea, winter sowing (they NEVER have heard of that, even some of the nursery guys).

What kind of stuff do you know? And how have you learned it? I feel sometimes I know more than the good employees at the better nurseries.
And I think I've learned most of it by researching on line and from these boards by asking questions.

Thank you everyone for all the information you have given on these boards and to me over the years!!! I love to learn from y'all!

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of blur411
posted Hide Post
As a first time gardener, thanks for the tips and I will look out for more. My garden this year was a trial, hoping for a much better outcome next year!

*Amber*

Posts: 33 | Location: Columbus, OH | Registered: Jul 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I know quite a bit but think it is only the tip of the iceberg. I do enjoy all the info on this board. I also like to research. Wish I had more time to do some of the things we all talk about. I am going to try wintersowing this year. I just need to figure out when to start it and where to sit the jugs we have so much wind up here on this little knoll.

Posts: 15212 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by owie:
I know quite a bit but think it is only the tip of the iceberg.

Me too! The older I get the more I realize there is a lot I don't know about almost everything! I think this realization comes with age tho as I thought I knew more (probably more than I really did) years ago. I've learned a lot from the internet but also learned a lot over the years from reading gardening books and magazines and belonging to a garden club.

However, I do know that I am more knowledgeable about gardening than the 3 gardeners I've employed over the last year. I 'let' the first 2 go as I refuse to pay men to lean on their shovels and they didn't know much about plants. My current garden helper is a very good worker but I still probably know more than she does about most plants and gardening techniques. These people are all 'professional' landscapers/gardeners and all a lot younger than I am.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12611 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
If I could retain everything I read, I would be one smart cookie!

A lot of my knowledge has come from experience & chatting with all of you on this board.

I have helped customers at greenhouses when the employees couldn't answer their questions. Can't help it! LOL!

Posts: 10354 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I am amazed at all the stuff I didn't know until I came on here (embarrassing!!!!). I learned so much about lots of things, i.e. gardening, canning, birds, farming & farm animals and geography. Seriously, I wish I was as good a student in school... :^( I google EVERYTHING!! (How did I survive all these yrs. without GOOGLE?!)
There must be something that I know a lot about that you don't.... just think of something! ;^D

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2261 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
It helped that I grew up around farming and gardens. You just absorb some knowledge that way without even realizing it. Then I also belonged to a garden club for a while, and I read voraciously. There's a ton that I don't know, but I can usually find an answer somewhere if I need to!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6231 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
good question nance. actually, no i haven't thought about it. DH says i am so knowledgeable about plants.. that i know all their names. just because i happen to know a few (and not the botanical ones) he thinks i'm so smart. haha.. going to let him keep on thinking that.

i don't know how i know what i know. a lot is intuition. when i'm out in the garden, it lets me know what it wants me to do. also i have learned by trial and error.. and by listening to others like all of you posting here. i don't read gardening books but investigate things on a need-to-know basis.

Posts: 3556 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bana:
i don't read gardening books but investigate things on a need-to-know basis.

Same here, Bana.
Within the past few years, I began going on charity garden tours and occasional visits to the botanical garden. Sometimes I surprise myself that can ID certain less-common plants or have even grown them myself at one time.

I think there's a certain amount of knowledge to be gained by osmosis in just being interested in a subject.

Posts: 4355 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
funny thing, nettiejay, i was thinking the same word. have learned a lot by osmosis.

Posts: 3556 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
I know more than anyone else I know personally, but there is always more to learn and I learn a lot from all of you.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
quote:
DH says i am so knowledgeable about plants.. that i know all their names. just because i happen to know a few (and not the botanical ones) he thinks i'm so smart. haha.. going to let him keep on thinking that.

Pretty funny. Mine says the same thing as well as a few neighbors. They usually ask what the name of certain plants are. And of course, I always tell them more than they probably want to know, cuz I get so excited to share!!! Smile

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Probably know a fair amount. But my yard still doesn't look like I know what I'm doing. And gardening is an ongoing process.....of learning (from mistakes) and questions.

Posts: 674 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jmchab:
Probably know a fair amount. But my yard still doesn't look like I know what I'm doing. And gardening is an ongoing process.....of learning (from mistakes) and questions.

I agree that it is an ongoing process with lots of trial and error. I liken it to creating a painting, except it takes years to perfect it. Every year I look (even every season) and to my eye, something will look off so I have to change it. It's never ending but enjoyable most of the time. Well, not last week when it was muggy, mosquitoes were attacking, gnats were swarming my face and the ground was mucky from all the rain--but normally it's enjoyable.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
When I first came on this board and figured out what a siggy line was...I made up my own...
"Old, but still learning!"
Another one I have used before is, "If I learned something today, the day wasn't a waste."

I also have absorbed things just from being around "stuff"...having grown up on a farm where we depended on having a large garden to survive the winter, and then putting it all up by some means. And there weren't any freezers back then! So we canned, we dried and we stored lots of things in the root cellar or the house cellar.
I know I'm not alone on this board, others have done it too, but I have completed the Master Gardener course for Ga. I was forced to learn more about TURF than I ever wanted to know. And I also ended up teaching my class a few things too....like chemicals aren't ALWAYS the answer.
But I also still learn something nearly every day. And a lot of mine has been trial/error! I've screwed up soooooooooooooooo many times.
Like right now, I have sweet corn that is about 1' tall and it is tasseling! Big Grin So much for a corn crop this year. But it was really late down here for me to try...I did it any way!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4387 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As Thomas Jefferson supposedly said, "Though an old many I am but a young gardener." I still have much to learn, and I frequently learn by doing research to answer questions from other gardeners.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KimmSr,

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8121 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Some of us have been into gardening for 40,50 even 60 years. You tend to pick up a few things along the way. I thought I knew a lot, well, that is until I joined these boards. I still learn something new every week.
Learning from mistakes seems to be my passion! LOL!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7290 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jm
posted Hide Post
Good question. I think I have learned most from my own failures. Also from forums such as these. I know there is more to learn though and have been wanting to taking the Master Gardeners course for years but is only offered in my area during the week and unfortunately I have to work - UGH!!!
Another reason to look forward to retirement.
Jm

Posts: 859 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: Dec 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jm:
Good question. I think I have learned most from my own failures. Also from forums such as these. I know there is more to learn though and have been wanting to taking the Master Gardeners course for years but is only offered in my area during the week and unfortunately I have to work - UGH!!!
Another reason to look forward to retirement.
Jm

Before you take the class, find out EXACTLY what the one in your state covers.
Mine in Ga., stressed TURF grasses since so many of them, especially varieties of Bermuda were developed here. There was very little about actual gardening...more about biology (that's not the right word-brain f art) than anything else.
We did learn plant parts and how plants work...which was much the same as what I'd had in high school biology class.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4387 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post