Just saw this article and thought it interesting.
Researchers at the University of Florida have found that purchased floral preservatives work best at controlling microbial populations, hydrating stems, and feeding flowers. While some homemade solutions work, some may actually shorten the life of your flowers.
Some of these methods work, and some do not. A small amount of bleach will impede the growth of bacteria, but too much will damage flowers. Sugar will feed the flowers, but too much will increase microbial growth. Commercial mixtures have exactly the right amount of nutrients and antimicrobial agents to keep your flowers fresh for the longest possible time.
If you do not have access to a specially formulated floral preservative, Purdue University recommends any of the following mixtures.
Mixture # 1: 2 cups lemon-lime carbonated beverage, 2 cups water, and 1/2 teaspoon household chlorine bleach
Mixture # 2: 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, 1 tablespoon sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon household chlorine bleach, mixed with 1 quart water
Mixture # 3: 2 tablespoons white vinegar, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon household chlorine bleach, mixed with 1 quart water
Isnt this pretty? (how do they get those stems to stand so straight?)
TFS, but don't mix chlorine bleach with acids, (e.g., vinegar, lemon juice), because when you mix bleach with an acid chlorine gas is produced.
your right still tryin. Why would they say that?
Maybe because there's so much water???? I'm going to write them about it.
|Powered by Social Strata|