Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Snow Pix Sign In/Join 
Picture of vera ellen
posted
Ok, no laughter from the Northern folks over our "big snow". Smile

Snapped this yesterday afternoon when it first started. The cardinals were lined up waiting their turn at the feeder.

ve

Posts: 3733 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
The rest of these were taken this morning.

Pasture gate

Posts: 3733 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I thought the snow on top of the crepe myrtle bloom hulls looked like little blooms themselves.

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Willie's First Snow

Snow was melting pretty fast when I finally coaxed Willie to go outside. After a lot of cautious sniffing, he finally decided that it was fun. I snapped this as he was romping around. I love the way his ears were flapping around.

ve

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Wow I never see more that a few cardinals at a time. Very cool! The snow~~~well we sure see that! LOL My doggie will dive right into the snow face first trying to catch a squirrel. TFS!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13167 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
ve, your pictures are wonderful! I should have gotten out and taken pics of the pond, but it was too cold and I was too lazy!

Willie is sooo cute! I bet you had to wrap him in a towel when he finally came in, to dry him off.

Posts: 3242 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
VE, always love to see your pics! The pic of cardinals is wonderful! Must have been fun to see Willie wonder what snow was at first. My little dog loves to 'tunnel' thru the snow getting her nose covered in snow! As long as it's not too cold or she's just been clipped she loves playing in it.

I'm sure snow to Southerners is similar to extreme heat for us Northerners. Not something either of us are used to. Your snow will probably be gone in a few days, we'll have it until March at least altho with our recent thaw there are bare patches of ground under the trees in places which is a good sign that spring will eventually be here!

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12758 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ladies.

Barb, I bet your pond was gorgeous.

Muddy, the tree with the hanging feeder was full of cardinals. That's all I could get in the frame.

Lucky, yours & Muddy's doggies are used to the snow. Like you said, snow is so rare here, plus, Willie just turned two in January. He may be an old man before he sees snow again - LOL. It's almost gone now, except for a few shady spots. Don't you wish yours would go away that quickly..Smile. Hopefully you both will see meltage in a few days.

ve

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

posted Hide Post
Vera, I'm not laughing...We're getting buried. Will never be so glad as to see this winter end.
I'll bet Betty's not doing too much running lately!! Really feel for those down south..to get hit with this type of winter weather.

Posts: 954 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Vera, Those Cardinals are so cute!!! I love those pics!! I have never seen so many in one place at one time. I have usually 1 or 2 Cardinals at one time and I am thrilled. That's a lot of snow you have there, and the pic with Willie in the snow is just priceless. Blow it up and frame it!! (& write the date of it on the bottom) You are indeed lucky that your snow melts right away. We are having warmer temps for the first time nearly all winter but where is all this snow supposed to go, pray tell? My basement??!! :O :\

Ready for playing with my worms..... Wink

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2551 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is real pretty but I am so over winter. Let's bring on summer.!!

Posts: 15330 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
The first picture looks like Christmas. Love all the other pictures. I know you rarely get snow there but think of natures fertilizer falling on your soil. I hope those poor cardinals find a dense thicket to sleep in.

Posts: 2656 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
postcard pretty pictures, vera ellen.. especially the cardinals. and i like the crepe myrtle one.

Posts: 3906 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I love all your pictures. I was wondering if you gotten some snow! It had looked like you did.

Willie looks like he is having a ball! Give him an extra pet for me!

Now, about cardinals...they are eating me out of house/home...I counted 20 of them scattered across the yard this evening! I think we rural folks get more of them than in-town folks!

And the Great Backyard Bird count starts tomorrow....VALENTINES DAY!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5126 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
one benefit from living in harsh winter climates is that you get beautiful birds... like those amazing cardinals.

Posts: 3906 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Ohhhh VE, what wonderful pics. That 1st one is a real winner. The one with the crapemyrtle looks like cotton plants. The dog is soooo cute in the snow. That 1st pic would make a beautiful enlarged picture...or a Christmas Card. Lovely.

Bare patches on the ground? Not here. We still have at least a foot of snow covering the ground. Bleah.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7866 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very pretty VE! Love to see pics of Willie it would make a great Christmas card!! So would the one with the CM.
Birdie always rolls in the snow!! Always tell her she's taking a snow bath!!
Thanks for sharing with us!

Carlene

Posts: 1815 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I agree with mgt. about the crape myrtle...looked like cotton bolls to me too! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5126 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Love your photos, Vera!

I used to have many cardinals at a time in my yard, but my neighbor cut down his brambly, overgrown shrubs that provided them cover. Not sure where they all those birdies went, but I only seem them occasionally now. Nothing brings out their gorgeous color more than some snow, even just a little.

Yep... Cotton bolls, for sure!

Posts: 4686 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
I didn't like this winter to start with, no good birds at all. Now I really detest it.. the weight of the snow took down my awning this evening.

Posts: 3498 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NYlady:
I didn't like this winter to start with, no good birds at all. Now I really detest it.. the weight of the snow took down my awning this evening.

NYlady
Hugs coming your way!

VE,
Am loving the pictures!

Posts: 5026 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Oh, NYlady, I don't blame you one bit for being tired of this winter!! Sorry you've had some damage.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6830 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
thanks for the kind words.. thank goodness my contractor will be here Monday.

Posts: 3498 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Love the cardinal picture! They must be really hungry! Yep I think Willie is loving the snow! What a cute picture!

NYlady on no! What a mess. But I love the way your cupids are floating in the snow....

Posts: 10426 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
NY Lady - what a disaster...I'm so sorry about your awing and all the snow that you have received. This has certainly been a harsh winter for most of the country.

(((hugs))

ve

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Oh my, NYlady! Glad you have help coming. That looks like a LOT of weight!

Cute door deco though! Big Grin

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
NYlady, I'm so sorry. You sure are getting blasted this time of year. Good thoughts coming your way. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7866 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post