Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Veggie Water! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted
Is the water used to cook vegetables good for plants? I thought I read that somewhere but forgot where I read it. So, twice I decided to save the water from my casserole dish after I finish microwaving frozen veggies and add it to water to water the plants. I only did it twice, but I was wondering if anyone else does this and does it benefit them in any way? Thx!

Posts: 2261 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
sounds like a good idea to me.. IF you haven't salted the water. lets see what others say.

Posts: 3560 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Sure it would be good for plants but it's also good for humans. I used to freeze water from cooking veggies and use it when making soup. Now I use as little water as possible and drain it into my compost container as I seldom make soup.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12611 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Never thought of this! Hmm

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12488 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Wavy - I think that is a great idea. I too save and freeze the water from cooking potatoes to mash...also the broth from boiled cabbage. I freeze it, then when I make soup during the winter I just toss in the frozen water/broth. Adds such a delightful ooomph to the soup. I'm sure you could use ice cube trays, but since I don't have those, I have some 1/2 cup freezer containers.

So if it tastes good to humans, why wouldn't it taste good to the plants.

ve

Posts: 3230 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me. Mom use to save her potato water and use it for the liquid to make homemade bread. It was great. And just sitting here and remembering things form years ago--- a lot of time mom would use her dishwashing liquid to water her flowers. Especially if there was a drought. The plants were no worse for the wear with that water.

Posts: 15212 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Wavie - funny you just asked this. I just threw my "corn water" in my containers over the weekend. It was such a big pot of water, I hated throwing it down the drain. (I never boil water with added salt, so it just had corn nutrients in it.) Smile

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Years ago when we used a "dish pan" for doing dishes...that water went into flower beds. However, we used SOAP back then and NOT detergent with all the additives they have now. But it probably wouldn't hurt most plants either.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4387 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post