Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Found the tomato picture
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Found the tomato picture Sign In/Join 
Picture of NYlady
posted
This is taken out my back window. Tomato plants on the right, Elephant Ears on the left

Posts: 3435 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a beauty! Is that a raised garden bed? What kind of stakes do you use to stake the tomato plants? I didn't tie them to stakes and I learned my lesson. I honestly didn't think they would do well, and I am inexperienced (sounds like you've been gardening a very long time, yes?). I didn't want to buy those pieces of wood they sell in Lowes to stake the tomatoes. Will have to get them next year. (I didn't know much they cost). I prefer the smaller tomatoes that don't grow too tall (I'm little!) Next time I walk in the park I'll be on the lookout for large broken branches...
I just noticed my neighbor has one red tomato! My DH is sure they will turn red. I already lost hope... I don't know!!

Posts: 2432 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Fantastic!

I think those are the largest ears I have seen.

I'm loving the tomato plants.

Posts: 4911 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Wow you tomato plants look great. Ours didn't do so good this summer.

Are your ears in full sun? I had some in the sun & they looked like they were getting burned.

Posts: 10423 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
Have patience Wavy.. they'll turn red in time. My DH is a scrounger.. Any big stick, pole, broom handle he can come upon he brings home..and yes.. I learned to garden from my Mom during WW 2

Posts: 3435 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Great looking maters and ears!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4853 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous. Where did you get the pieces of art.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
Owie..which pieces of art?

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
In the window?

Very Nice ~~ they are so healthy! What's your secret? Are those EE's first year or have you saved them in the past?

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12931 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
The "artwork" in the window are plastic flowers that Michaels had a couple of years ago for $1 each.. The EES are in their 3rd year. The bulbs/tubers were huge last fall when I dug them up.. Imagine they'll be nearly soccer ball size this year.. I dig them up when it gets chilly, either too chilly for me or them. Let them dry a few days on the back porch and then store them in a cardboard box in an unheated cellar.. I do spritz them once or twice over the winter if I remember. I'd love tostart them in the house this spring as they take FOREVER to break ground.. No fertilizer..just a scoop of Good Garden Soil in each hole. and lots of water.. They tell you when they need it. Tomatoes got the same thing.. Good Garden Soil and water.