Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

tree id Sign In/Join 
Picture of NYlady
posted
This is one of the trees planted by NYC's "Plant a Million Trees" initiative. It is a very "dirty" tree. Has been dropping flower blossoms for 2 weeks now. Not a clue what it is.. Any help please?

Posts: 3495 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
Here's a better shot of the leaves

Posts: 3495 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Kinda looks like mine but mine is a grafted locust tree...very tall & yes it likes to drop its blooms & petals in the wind. Leaves are the same.

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13165 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I was thinking locust too.

Posts: 3730 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
Thank you.. I was looking thru the web and sort of came to that conclusion. However, I wanted the experts opinion..

Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
I was looking at the website - you'd think they'd have a list of the types of trees planted.
I used to pass one unusual type on Carmine Street in the Village and always wondered what it was.
I don't work down there anymore and never had a camera with me.
Usually they are ginkgo, locust and Callery pear.

Posts: 3284 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I think mine was grafted with a chain tree as the blooms are the same.

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13165 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post