Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Orchids Sign In/Join 
Picture of flboy
posted
My orchids are open. Is this the right time of year for them to open? I thought that they opened up around September-October. One purple is open and many white buds, all on one stem on another are almost there too.

html

Posts: 2526 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Pictures?

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13116 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Oh, orchids bloom whenever they're ready. Mine bloomed in summer last year, too. I'd love to see them. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7850 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I have tried to get the pictures but the size is too large and I can't get them small enough to start. Sorry.

html

Posts: 2526 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful surprise.

Posts: 4983 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
The orchids are just left outside all the time unless it is going to get real cold in the winter. We bring them in the garage until the weather is warm again. The watering is rain water only unless we have gone over 2 weeks without rain. I am not a green thumb person at all.

html

Picture of KarenNY1 zone 7
posted Hide Post
I was given an orchid last year for my birthday in July Do they re-bloom? So far, all I have are green leaves.

Posts: 183 | Location: Wharton,NJ Zone 7 | Registered: Apr 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Karennyzone, I guess some can bloom more but I am pretty sure mine are only once but different times for the type of orchid.

html

posted Hide Post
What a nice surprise. They can bloom at various times. My pansy orchid just bloomed for 2 months. I've got a few new blooms on my Dendrobium. Blooms all depend on the type of light that they need and fertilizer. Some need to go through a cold period, others need to have fertilizer stopped or started. Go the American Orchid Society website for more advice. I couldn't get mine to rebloom until I changed their locations and got some new food at the orchid show here in March.

Posts: 3228 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
I had to move my orchids to where there is shade in the afternoon.

html

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Yes, orchids rebloom. Water and food & correct lighting.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7850 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post