Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rudbeckia ? Sign In/Join 
posted
Does anyone grow rudbeckia maxima, giant, tall coneflower? Mine (apx 3 yrs. old) is struggling (hardly growing and not flowering) where it is and I wondered if if was too late to transplant? Does it really need a moister place? It's in full sun, but I think it maybe too dry where it is>....?? Even with all the rain this year it looks bad.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jmchab,

Posts: 665 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
I've had luck with Goldsturm returning year after year so I stick with that.
I read about the maxima couple years back and because it is best suited for warmer zones, I didn't try it.
It sounds interesting though---blue leaves and grows tall (7'). It should have though a deep rich moist soil and rather than be disappointed trying to grow it I stick with what I've got.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Loonie, It was just a fluke that I picked it up one year. Figured I'd give it a try. Only bloomed once in three years so maybe it's not hardy enough for here.....Wanted something real tall for back of border....

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Jan, I don't know what variety mine are...they were from packet seeds about 8-10 yrs. ago that said "Daisy" on the packet.
Mine get about 4' tall down here. Yes, you can move them if they aren't blooming without much problem...but when you do, give them LOTS of water for a few days.
I have one that volunteered in a pot of something else on my front porch. I have to water it every day and it is in a 4 gal. pot!
Yes, it LIKES water.
The ones that are in my driest beds have already bloomed & died....others with more moisture are still blooming.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4348 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Karen, This one is between 5-7' tall. And I think that's what's wrong....wrong place and not enough water. Thanks.

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Jan, I have Rudbeckia Autumn Sun, originally from Blissie. I've had it for 3 years now....it's never done anything. This year, due to all the rain we've had (thundering again as I type), it is at least 7 foot tall and blooming it's silly head off. It is a beautiful yellow with a really pointed "cone".

So, I'd say this type Rudbeckia does indeed need lots and lots of moisture. Mine is in full sun too.

T'will be interesting to see what happenes to it once we hit another drought year.

ve

Posts: 3194 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Vera, I dug it up anyway. Had six other plants attached so put them all over....they were being eaten by something (bug) so I figured I had nothing to lose....