Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

plant ID Sign In/Join 
Picture of shook29
posted
A plant that my friend thinks is bamboo. Anyone know what it is? I'm not sure

This message has been edited. Last edited by: shook29,

Posts: 870 | Location: PA zone 6 | Registered: Mar 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shook29
posted Hide Post
Close up of a leaf...it's been growing in only water for a few years, I think.

Posts: 870 | Location: PA zone 6 | Registered: Mar 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shook, I've never seen a stiff stock like that on philodendren.

Posts: 950 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I think it could be "lucky bamboo". It's in the dracaena family, I think.

Posts: 4683 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
A link for you...
http://houseplants.about.com/o...ts/a/LuckyBamboo.htm
And with all due respect to the plant's owner, I'd probably try some of the shaping techniques described there.

Posts: 4683 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I'm with Nettie...one of the dracaena family. Poor think needs to be planted in soil.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7866 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shook29
posted Hide Post
I knew I could count on you! Lucky bamboo it is! Thanks for the link, Nettie!