Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Container gardening - what do you think
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Container gardening - what do you think Sign In/Join 
posted
I have 6 window boxes on a full sun deck, living in zone 7, what is a good vine plant that can stand this much sun and tolerate the drought. Looking for a non flowering vine that overflows the window box planter. What do you suggest?

Posts: 346 | Location: Amherst, VA USA | Registered: Jul 25, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Well, I was full of suggestions until I read the statement, non-flowering. Back to square 1.

Look through your nursery...you should be able to find a lot of non-flowering vines, ivy comes to mind, then there's this little silvery vine, can't think of it's name. Hey, there's always Kudzu! Smile

ve

Posts: 3220 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Sweet potato vines

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have a type of vinca vine (annual) that we use in window boxes here. Some are variegated...

Posts: 671 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We have an annual vinca vine here that I use in my whiskey barrels to hang over the edge. There is also a variegated one.

Posts: 671 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
wave petunias will trail over...sweet potato vine indeed......couple with some wave petuhias..or trailing geraniums..endless possibilities.!~

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Sweet potato vines and ivy are the only ones I can think of that don't bloom (much). Oriental star jasmine is a ground cover that runs and it might work in your boxes. Its tough as nails and so far as I know, doesn't bloom.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6231 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post