Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  a neat idea,few pics added
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

a neat idea,few pics added Sign In/Join 
Picture of jackierenette
posted
I saved this picture from my FB page.I love this idea for an old bird bath.I thought I'd share with you all if you hadn't saw this.

My DH brother gave us a bird bath for Christmas. I am hoping to make something similar to this, this weekend. I have purple Ice plant, Hen & chicks and another drought tolerant plant (not sure of it's name).But I can use it too. Last year I bought pink & orange Ice plant at Lowes. Maybe I'll find some this year and can add it too.I may use a clay for for center of birdbath.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jackierenette,

Posts: 2991 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
cool pic. But how does one address drainage? Do you think they would over winter in colder climates?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is pretty. I don't think it would winter over here in Colo!! Not sure about Minn.
My hen and chicks live through the winter but they are in the ground.

Carlene

Posts: 1372 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I have seen this done with a broken birdbath...recycle don't you know. Never seen it used with a newer one. Love this idea...and I love the different types of plants in it! I bet it wouldn't overwinter here either due to the freezing and thawing...but it would be great for someone with a desert type climate.

ve

Posts: 3177 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I like that one! I've seen pics of several done this way. And I just realized...I have a cracked birdbath bowl that my DH drug home several years ago...it just might work for something like this...but it is only a single tier.
And there is a plant...that the name has left my brain at the moment...lots of folks eat them, they grow wild down here and I'm always pulling them out...round leaves, little red flowers. I think it would work well in that too. Our local nursery sells them...I tell I could supply them for several years just with what I pull every year.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4323 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
I'm sorry for just now getting back.Been buzy playing in the flower beds and weeding.All my Ice plants,Hen& chicks and a few other sedums are alive during the winter here.

I hope adding some rocks, then adding the dirt will help with drainage.I wont water it too often.

The birdbath I have has a small crack too.I haven't done anything yet.DH put it in place.So now just adding some rocks,soil and plants.

Posts: 2991 | Location: Liberty, S.C. | Registered: Mar 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Jackie,

That looks like a fun gardening project! Thanks!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9325 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
I went back through some inspiration files.Found a few more to add.I am getting too many ideas and running out of room.LOL

This is too cute.

Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
I would love to have more land and a old barn,just to do this.Beautiful and great idea.

But then again I thought I would not see that black snack hiding oneday.Perfect hiding place for one,you think? And I'd be plumb crazy for the rest of my life.I'm terrified of snakes.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jackierenette,

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
jackie- any idea what those lil white flowers that look like daisies are (in the tire)?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the the great ideas. Just proves the point that flowers make anything look better. Smile

Posts: 29 | Location: N IL | Registered: Feb 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not Jackie here, but could those flowers possibly be osteospernum?

Posts: 658 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jackierenette
posted Hide Post
Nanc425, I'm sorry I don't know those flwers.I'm not sure about those flowers either.I love Daisys and I like those too.They look viney.I think tose Million Bells would look pretty in this too.

KOW, Agreed 100%,flowers can make anything better.Smile I have saw old mens cowboy boots and firemen boots planted.Was beautiful.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ga.karen:
......and there is a plant...that the name has left my brain at the moment...lots of folks eat them, they grow wild down here and I'm always pulling them out...round leaves, little red flowers. I think it would work well in that too. Our local nursery sells them...I tell I could supply them for several years just with what I pull every year.

Purslane.....I have it everywhere too. It doesn't taste bad, and supposed to be very good for you.

I know what you mean about finding stuff at nurseries that you have growing wild in the yard. Imagine my surprise when I see Tillandsia or other epiphytes for sale in shops, I have a gazillion of them! Big Grin

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
You got it zone9! There are certain plants that the names just won't stick in my brain no matter what I do, that's one of them.
Wonder if that is a sign of things to come for my brain?

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4323 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Probably not....I've been having "Brain farts" for decades! Big Grin

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
LOL Z9, me too!

It's like these shrubs I bought a few years ago because they have berries for the birds. Now for the life of me I cannot remember the name of them..similar to a bayberry...but that's not it.

Loved the "tars" on the barn...I could do that, but what a chore to walk down there and water them all summer long. However, IF my g-daughter ever gets married, she wants to have a barn wedding (our barn). This idea will be safely stowed away for then...Y'all gotta help me remember, ok. She's going to be 26 this year and still all about her career! ;o)

ve

Posts: 3177 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Are they American Beautyberry? I have those growing wild everywhere too, the birds love them.

Your daughter will probably start getting the itch to get married by the time she reaches 30, if she wants kids. That's what my sister did who is a Pharmacist.