Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Hens and Chicks Gone Wild
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hens and Chicks Gone Wild Sign In/Join 
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted
Picture says it all. It doesn't look so great at the moment but I love this plant. Requires no care whatsoever. Only gets it's water from the rain.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: theoriginalfluffy,

Posts: 1143 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Plus a moonflower I grew from seed for the first time.

posted Hide Post
I have hen & chicks also and when mine does like your picture shows they die off a short time later.

Be happy Be safe

Posts: 1059 | Location: east coast | Registered: Apr 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
I've had mine bloom too OriginalFluffy...they look like something out of the Dr. Seuse books...cartoonish! I love my Hens/chicks. I also started moon flowers last season. I've got some volunteers this year trailing up my pergola. Gotta love the reseeders! Same on my Hyacyinth bean too!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I had some years ago...Looks like your sending
signals to outer space! LOL

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12771 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I've never had hens & chicks bloom...how lucky you are...love 'em.

Congrats on the moon flower...and to all of you who have had them reseed. I've planted 3 packs so far this year and nada, nuttin'. So I gave up. Love the moonflowers too.

ve

Posts: 3498 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Those hens & chicks are neat. I've never had any...but I'm gonna get some!
Love the moon flower.

Mine are still in a pot in the garden house...I keep forgetting to plant them out! Frown

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4756 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
amazing. never saw them 'flower' like that. you do have a green thumb with chicks 'n hens.

Posts: 3761 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bana, Funny that you say I have a green thumb with the hens and chicks. I just planted them in the pot and set it on the table. That's it! No watering required and they've sat there for a couple years at least. Easy peasy!

Sorry you couldn't get your moonflower seeds going VE. Did you try them in a pot? That's how I did mine.

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
No fluff - because I'd read that moonflowers don't like to be transplanted, I direct sowed two packages where I wanted them to grow and twine. Off the back porch there's a landing with steps leading down two ways...so I planted them where they'd grow and vine around the railings. The 3rd pkg I planted in egg shells so they wouldn't have transplant shock...I got two to sprout. Then I planted them in the soil, shell and all. Still nothing.

I think it's more our weather than the seeds. It has been wetter and definitely more cool than warm here this year. I've never had problems with moonflowers before.

ve

Posts: 3498 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
gorgeous.

Posts: 15304 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
that's MY kind of gardening, fluffy. plant it and forget it.

Posts: 3761 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of WWanda
posted Hide Post
I agree, they are the easiest to take care of. I've got them in and around the rocks on my pond. They kinda remind me of some for of aliens....Smile

Wanda

Posts: 4851 | Registered: Feb 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Dem Hens got some long necks! hehe

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7376 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Love your blooming hens and chicks! They look great in that pretty pot. Mine never bloom, probably the season is too short OR they don't live long enough. Often some critter (marmots, rabbits, squirrels, chipmunks) eats them. A problem with anything succulent and (maybe) tasty. I've sometimes put them in pots on the deck which keeps them safer but they are in the garden this year again.

Congrats on the moonflower.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12714 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
You do know the base of the blooming hens is going to die off after the bloom.. but babies will replace them.. at least that's what happened to mine.

Posts: 3409 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
I just got a strawberry pot last year & it's doing good. No blooms yet.

Lovely moonflower.

VE it must be your weather. I have the bush & the vines. The vines aren't blooming yet, still small. But the bush type is flowering.

Posts: 10422 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
Are you sure those aren't roosters and chicks, maybe someone slipped them a little V.......?

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
Did I really post that? Head hanging in shame!

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well since you said it, DH said "Is your plant excited?"

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
You silly girls!!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12771 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4756 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post