Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  I need some help with these areas PLEASE!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need some help with these areas PLEASE! Sign In/Join 
posted
This is my pool area and the beds are well established (14 years). There are 3 trouble spots that I need help with. (I'm in Zone 7a)

#1 - The junipers have really bad 'juniper rust' and are dying. I'm considering taking them out but I'm not sure what to replace them with.

#2 - The area behind the bench and under the maple tree is completely empty.

#2 - The Inkberry hollies are huge. I just pruned them back. They were well over 7' tall. They're so scraggly looking that I'm afraid they won't recover. They've gotten way too big for this spot. Any ideas what to replace them with?

Happily married and mom of 4
Central maryland - Zone 7

Posts: 7650 | Location: Maryland, USA | Registered: Jun 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
What a neat way to show the area that you need help with. I'm sorry, but I'm no good with this sort of thing...but would offer these suggestions:

Since you like the junipers, could you not just replace them, or is the rust a soil borne disease? Do you want evergreens back in the area?

I think the holly's will recover, maybe not this year, but they seem to regenerate themselves.

The area around the maple tree would be a good spot for perennials, like coneflowers, more daylilies, or try something different this year and use annuals..like zinnias, dahlias, etc. This would let you know if you like the look or would prefer more evergreens. If so, Japanese Holly is slow growing & non-aggressive and can be trimmed into perfect little mounds.

Your pool area is lovely!

ve

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Posts: 3174 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
Jeanette had posted with a question on Hostas which gives me the thought that Hostas would also look good in the corner there under your Maple tree.

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love hostas and so do the voles. Since this is a fairly small tree and this spot gets ALL day southern exposure, I'm afraid that might be too much sun for hostas.

This tree is the best. I got frustrated after losing 2 crape mrytals to the voles, that I found this sappling growing along the woodline behind my house. I dug it up and it's the perfect tree (for free).

Posts: 7650 | Location: Maryland, USA | Registered: Jun 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
I don't think voles like daffodils,and a mass of those would be pretty (or if you have access to a couple large type rocks, daffodils could be clustered close to the rocks?

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
If you are having vole/mole troubles...go get some small rabbit wire, wrap the mesh/wire around the bulb plant and pop into a hole. The root system will get work it way through the wire and keep the voles out. I think some sky pencils would look great along the fence (holly family). I'd also consider some butterfly bushes and perhaps even some domesticated honeysuckle or jasmine. You could also put down the dwarf nandina for added color and interest.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Ruby, I already do that with certain plants. I could plant daffodils in there along with something else. I like the rock idea. Since this is the pool area, it's mostly used during the summer months, so daffodils will be finished blooming by then.

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
After losing many plants to voles, I always plant in Permatile. It's pretty much a bag of rocks & I throw some in the planting hole. Works great!

In the left corner where the jap maple is, you could plant another maple on the right where the hollies are & under plant with lime green Coral Bells. Or you could replace the hollies with Steeds Hollies. They are great & grow really fast. There is also Dee Runk Boxwood that grows upright. Here is a pic of a Dee Runk on the far left with a barberry beside it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patty louise,

Posts: 10350 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Patty Louise - Your yard always look great. I will have to look into those Dee Runk boxwoods. They look really nice. I'd rather not plant anymore trees because of the pool. I love the lime green huecherra.

Question - Are there any sun loving hostas? Or sun loving huecherras??? I am leaning more towards foilage plants near the bench to cut down on the bee activity.

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
ForensicMom -- is that a Japanese maple or the standard Red Maple? If its a red maple, it can get huge as it grows.

Have you thought about knockout roses for that corner?

I'm terrible at choosing plants sometimes. Sorry I can't be of more help.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6210 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Florida Girl - It's probably a regular Red Maple, so I'm just keeping my fingers crossed that it doesn't get too big to fast.

I took out the junipers yesterday and now I'm stumped on whether to put something evergreen back in there??? Or a flowering shrub, or perennials or a tall upright grass? Or even a tropical. I'm really stumped on this spot on both sides of the arbor.

Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
I like the structure that the evergreens give you. Patty Louise's recommendation of steeds holly is a good one. I had some of those (but later redesigned the space) and they seemed to be bulletproof.

Posts: 1093 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks "Theoriginalfluffy"- I always like using shrubs and evergreens as a base because I like to see "something" growing all year long. It would look so empty if I only had perennials.

The hard part is trying to ffind the right balance.

posted Hide Post
Someone on another site suggested that I take ALL shrubs out and let the daylillies take over the entire area. That's NOT what I want to do, but it did give me a thought. I think I'm going to take out the daylillies and add more shrubs. I might add a few more knockout roses for more color.

Doesn't it make you feel good when you struggle with something and an idea pops into your head?

Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
Another idea instead of knockouts, because they get so big, you could do carpet or drift roses. That way you'll have the varying heights still. Or you could keep the daylilies where they are and put the drift roses in front of the inkberry and replace the juniper, if need be, with the steeds or Dee Runk. So many options!!!

Posts: 1093 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Theoriginalfluffy - The beds are only about 3-4' max in depth in that area, so anything sprawling would be difficult. The reason I thought about Knockouts (or double knockouts) is to keep the height balanced with the other shrubs. The area of the daylillies seem so short with the other shrub in there.