Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  What Is That In My Soil & WHY?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What Is That In My Soil & WHY? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Wavy
posted
Okay, I have a dilemma and I haven't a clue about it. I planted seeds about 4 weeks ago in yogurt containers. I used a brand new bag of Miracle Grow Seed Starting Soil. Many of the seeds did not germinate this year. This is the first year I have been so unsuccessful for some reason. I was digging in the container trying to examine one of the seeds and I discovered these teeny-tiny nearly microscopic white worm thingys. I was horrified. What the he11 and where did they come from? I immediately tossed two seed pots. The same thing was in both. I suspect those worms may be in the other 6 pots as well. I do have a few seeds that germinated. Anyone have any idea where the teeny-tiny microscopic worms thingys (they were moving) came from? Is it from too wet soil? I think the soil may be a little too wet. Was it in this new bag of Miracle Grow Seed Starting Mix? Should I write to them and ask for a refund? I have practically a full bag. I didn't use much this year. Anyone have a clue where these WHITE MICROSCOPIC WORM THINGYS came from? I thought they were roots when I first saw them. Then afterwards noticed them Moving. EEEEEKKKK! Thanks!!!! (geez, aren't I very melodramatic? LOL!)

SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry Wavy-I've never had that problem....so can't help. But will keep in touch to see if someone has an answer.

Posts: 657 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post

Posts: 10350 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
I think patty louise is right. Look up Fungus gnat larvae for starters.

Posts: 2641 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I agree, probably fungus gnats...no need to freak about them. Spray the plants when they're big enough with an insecticidal soap to kill the adults. Put a slice of fresh potato on the soil & toss it out every couple of days & put down a fresh one for about 3 weeks. The larvae are attracted to the potato & so you can just get rid of them that way.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7701 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
Yes Patty, I think that is it, thank you so much! You're so smart! I am sorry I freaked out and tossed out the other two seed containers. I am going to let it dry out. I did see those lil gnats hovering around, come to think of it, but I have never seen 'gnat larve', ever! I learn new things all the time, thanks! I am just really glad it wasn't something IN the bag of soil I recently bought.

SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
Fungus gnats, to be sure, live in soil where the moisture level contributes to rotting microscopic debris which they feed on. However, your starter soil is a reliable medium for doing what you want it to do....start seeds.
By cutting back on the moisture level, you might well defeat what those "thngies" are, but you may well be denying the seed ample moisture to start.

You say you used yogurt containers. Might the containers be the culprit--microscopic leavings from what used to be in them.

There are inexpensive seed starting pots that are specifically for starting seeds and can be trusted to contain no pests.
Many things can go wrong when seed is started, among which might be temperature of the soil, sunlight sufficiently long to start them, too much moisture which rots the roots, or doesn't let the roots begin to form. I've never heard that gnats are particular enemies of seed trying to start.

I suggest you start again with the soil and change the containers.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post