Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Knockout Roses Sign In/Join 
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted
I've inherited three huge knockouts at the new house. I know that they will need to be pruned drastically before next season. Anybody else near my zone that has done this? When did you prune? I know they're supposed to be easy to care for, but do any of you have any tips?

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6823 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Tips...yes, prune them back to 12-18" at the first sign of growth in the spring.
And with knockouts, you can prune them any time during spring & summer to keep them in bounds.
Just don't prune too late in the fall so new growth won't get frozen.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5116 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Haven't the knockouts been beautiful this season? Mine are starting to look ragged but I blame it on this awful heat. Glad to know when to trim them back. Good Luck with yours FFG. Lucky you to be living in the Georgia mountains. I love it up there.

Posts: 2309 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Mine got so big up here around the house that I moved them out by the road about 3 yrs. ago. Last year I cut them back to about 12" but didn't prune them at all this year. They looked better this year than they had any year before...and you are right Ga.Peach, this heat is taking a toll on nearly ALL of my plants.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5116 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite roses. I just love them. I'm sure you will too.

Go to google.com and type in "how to care for knockout roses".

Posts: 5023 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post