Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Heating Up in July
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Heating Up in July Sign In/Join 
Picture of muddyshoes
posted
Here Comes More Color>

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12448 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Was it Barb that tried to grow the canary climber?
I got one really going strong this year! Hope it blooms earlier than last time I tried!

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
One happy fern! Perfect summer for this baby!

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Watermelon Anyone? Welcome my new addition by my patio table!

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Time for a cool drink in this heat!

Picture of thebrownthumb
posted Hide Post
I tried to grow the canary climber, failed miserably. Yours is looking great! What is that pretty purple flower?

There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments. Janet Kilburn Phillips

Posts: 4384 | Location: Central PA | Registered: Sep 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Luscious, faithful perennial sweet pea vine makes another appearance! My most faithful vine of all!

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
There's Thumbie!* Spiderwort but never recall the exact names...Widow's tears? Its blooming in my front garden along with the hosta & has returned now for many years! Have it before? Can try to send you some roots when its done blooming GF?
Trying to get it going in a few spots so I don't lose it! This color might be a new one tho from an exchange...Think my older ones are the color of the sweet pea blooms!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: muddyshoes,

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Love that fern and the sweet pea vine..never had much luck with either. All your plants look healthy and happy - beautiful pictures.

Thumbie - the purple plant is spiderwort aka slobber plant.

ve

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Muddy, Everything is looking so good. Love the asparagus fern. Have the dreaded magenta spiderwort that is invasive. Know some of the other varieties aren't but my pink one set me against them....been digging them out of beds for years. Perennial sweet pea is also invasive here but grow that one anyway.

Posts: 656 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
beautiful photos muddy. looks like all your plants are thriving. did not know there is a perennial sweet pea. that might be perfect to plant where i'm digging up the nightshade weeds between deck and fence. do they need to be planted in the spring? or can you do it in the fall?

Posts: 3535 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
You have some nice looking plants there. TFS.

Posts: 15197 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
Very pretty indeed.
My grandmother used to have both the purple widow's tears and magenta sweet pea.
They didn't see invasive then.
I know that Michigan Bulb used to sell the widow's tears in several colors, but I've only seen this one in person.

I always thought asparagus fern was difficult, but maybe indoors? Your green thumb is certainly making it grow wonderfully!

Posts: 3243 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Vera, Slobber plant?

Jm, My other spiderwort...never spread? Hm

Sweet Pea Vine is not a wild variety...may even be sterile? I cut it back to almost the ground every Fall...& for many years it grows right back up to the outdoor light! It has never popped up anywhere.
I have given out seed pods & not sure if anyone got one going or not...maybe Robin's Nest (really can't recall who) Bana will send you some seeds in the Fall or first ones I get (whatever) if you want to try?

Owie/June: Thanks so much. My fern always goes directly outside as soon as the evening temp are warm enough. Full sun & keep it soaked! In the winter I cut it way back so needles aren't all over the place & keep fairly moist by a sunny window. I usually have to cut the whole thing in half & given half away to anyone who will take it!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: muddyshoes,

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pics!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4308 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Muddy, I have some of your perennial sweet peas. But, this year the bunnies ate most of them. If you remember, will you send me some more seeds? they don't have a fragrance, but they sure are pretty.

As usual, your pics are fantastic.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7701 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great pics! Love the first one

Carlene

Posts: 1371 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fern must adore the recent weather. It looks so happy and healthy. I've got spiderwort too, purple like yours, white and some magenta. They are all over the yard but they are pretty. Love the sweet pea. It just feels great to have cooler weather.

Posts: 3048 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Beautiful photos as always. Love the birdie! It's too hot for me outside right now, so I'll just enjoy your garden. Smile

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Gorgeous and healthy looking as usual! Where's your mailbox pic? I love seeing what's growing around your mailbox!
I planted morning glories and they did good, but they absolutely hate the hot sun. They curl up as soon as it starts to heat up here. I don't recall them behaving this way the last time I planted them (a few yrs ago). It's so weird. I felt so sorry for them that I moved the pot to a shady area right between my shrubs and they seem much happier now. I don't have much shade and really like 'drought/heat tolerant' flowers. I don't like having to run out daily to see how they are coping....

Posts: 2230 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post