Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  pics of sick KO roses
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

pics of sick KO roses Sign In/Join 
posted
Here is what my KO look like. And all the way donw the stems there are tons of the t h o r n s
What do you think? RRD or not?

Carlene

Posts: 1633 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
another

Carlene

Posts: 1633 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
last one

Carlene

posted Hide Post
What do you folks think?
Do they need to be taken completely out?
I have cut 2 of the bushes to all but 6" from the ground. I'll see what they look like when they start leafing out.

The ones in front of the house (no pics) seem to be ok.
Thanks

Carlene

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
They do look bad don't they? So sorry, but I think they have Rose Rosette Disease. Everything I've read on the disease says you must get rid of the rose bush. Even the roots. Otherwise it will spread. good luck.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: mgt,

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7824 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
Yeah, sadly it looks like it to me too. Mine were t***** but they never had that many thorns. It's such a shame because they are so hearty otherwise.

Posts: 1143 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
They look like such a beautiful variety Boooo Hoo for Birdie! You might even need to refresh
the soil in that area before planting anything else there? No rose expert but they make me want to itch! LOL What causes that?

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12915 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I'm going to be the odd ball out. I don't think they have it.
Mine looked much like that and I just cut them back to 12-18" this spring and they are fine now & full of blooms.

Here's a link to what is typical on KO roses...

http://www.bing.com/images/sea...ose+thorns&FORM=IGRE

If you want to find out for sure, cut off a good sized piece, put it in a zip bag & take it to your local county extension office. If they can't answer, they can send it to the university for testing.
And keep in mind, I'm certainly NOT a rose expert, I'm just going by my own experience with my knockouts.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4845 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Try not to give up on anything to soon.

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12915 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I would try what gakaren said and I am no expert either. At the moment I have no roses. I was going to try knockout roses but after this post I need to think about it. I thought they were so resistant of disease. I know resistant does not mean they don't get disease. I just never heard anyone complain about diseases.

Posts: 15317 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Ok, I looked up some more stuff on the disease...
Here is a list of all the things that can show it and you should have several of them in any combination if your roses have it....

quote:
Symptoms: Disease symptoms vary with rose cultivar, but combinations of all or some of the most distinct symptoms are used for diagnosis.

· Stem bunching or clustering, witch’s broom
· Elongated and/or thickened canes

· Bright red leaves and stems

· Excessive thorniness, small red or brown thorns

· Distorted or aborted flowers

· Under-developed or narrow leaves and/ or distorted canes

· Dead or dying canes, yellow or brown foliage, dwarfing or stunting

And here is another link with a picture of KO roses with the disease....

http://bygl.osu.edu/content/tw...se-rosette-disease-0

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4845 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Karen Sadly I've go all those and I've been to the OSU sight. They have to come out! Frown

Carlene

posted Hide Post
The canes look like those of the Rosa Rugosa that grows wild in my yard and gets cut down often as a "weed". Was this KO Rose grafted? If so the root stock has taken over and you no longer have what you thought you had.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8156 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
I was also thinking what Kimmsr said but don't know enough about roses to confirm it. Guess you need to make up your own mind as to what to do. Frankly the oldtime roses from 60 years ago are a favorite of mine. My grandmother had some in her yard and I remember they looked heavenly. The only problem I remember was they only bloomed once and not for very long.

Posts: 15317 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post