Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  I HAVE ONE...............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I HAVE ONE...............................!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Sign In/Join 
Picture of ga.karen
posted
I have a ruby throat. Thought I saw something last night for just a second...it was close to dark, so I wasn't sure. But he just came to the feeder a bit ago.

So for those of you who are north of me...get your feeders ready & start getting them out next week. Once they start moving north it doesn't take them long! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4348 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Whoo Hoo Karen. Thanks for the heads up.......they must be a bit early this year...it was the first week in April (I think) before my scout showed up last year.

I'll be ready!

ve

Posts: 3192 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Good for you. Can't wait until they come north.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Good for you!!!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6222 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Big Grin Yaay! I haven't seen one yet!

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zone9alady:
Big Grin Yaay! I haven't seen one yet!

You need to spend more time just SITTING outside. That's when you see them. Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4348 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
An old gardening friend who lives in Birmingham, Al emailed me that they are just south of her.....she put her feeder out yesterday. When Gail gets them, it's only a week or so until I get them. They are moving north fast!

I'm making up my sugar water today and having it ready!

ve

Posts: 3192 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
Don't have any yet, I still think it's too early, but...I cleaned one feeder, yesterday, filled it with nectar and then hung it back out in it's usual place. I'll wait until I start getting them before I put the rest of them out.

Last year, I was washing dishes and started seeing them. It got to be really cool, cause when I filled the feeders, there was a swarm of about 25 for maybe 10 or 15 minutes.

Posts: 3140 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lucky you, Karen. I can't hardly wait. But it'll be a while yet.
Vera, wish I had them like you do-buzzing back and forth continuously. That was a real treat for me last year.

Posts: 663 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
You inspired me Karen..I got out and cleaned the dust off all my feeders that were in the shed. I put one out with one cup of bird juice! I have had one as early as 3/10, But the first week of spring is usually when I catch sight of one or two. Smile

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I still only have 2 feeders out on our front porch...they nearly emptied one yesterday and the other went down about an inch. I think there is more than one! That would be a LOT of juice for just one hummer!
I may have gotten a small group yesterday that was headed on north....that could have caused the huge useage.

Forgot...last year was the earliest for me 3/3. I usually get them 3/5-3/7 so this is late for me this year, by a few days. But we had that last late cold spell too.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

Picture of CynthiaJoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ga.karen:
Well, that would be nice, but it is 25 degrees here with about 4 inches of snow.....they wouldn't stand a chance.....

I have a ruby throat. Thought I saw something last night for just a second...it was close to dark, so I wasn't sure. But he just came to the feeder a bit ago.

So for those of you who are north of me...get your feeders ready & start getting them out next week. Once they start moving north it doesn't take them long! Big Grin

Judge not, you don't know their story.

Posts: 177 | Location: MI Z5 | Registered: May 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Still waiting on mine, have the juice ready.

Cynthia, what a beautiful picture of you and the doggie.

ve

posted Hide Post
Girls, there's good news. A birder who lives near Ft. Morgan over south of Mobile reported that she had about a dozen ruby throated hummingbirds in her yard yesterday, all feeding on her buckeye tree blooms.

Guess I should put a feeder up, too.

Posts: 6222 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KeepYouInStitches
posted Hide Post
Oooh! I don't have my feeder up yet.
I also don't have my planting beds weeded either - sprained an ankle a couple of weeks ago. Hopefully this weekend...

Posts: 16498 | Location: Daingerfield, TX | Registered: Feb 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I now have all 6 of my feeders out...did that yesterday. We have at least 2 hummers so far and I think there may be others that are "passing through"....and stopping to get a bite to eat. And of course, those 2 are chasing each other.

posted Hide Post
IT'S MARCH 29th AND I JUST SAW MY FIRST HUMMER OF THE SEASON! THIS IS 3 DAYS EARLY FOR ME. NOW, I'M GOING TO PUT OUT THE REST OF MY FEEDERS!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Barb in Mississippi,

Posts: 3140 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Well...this is the first time i've not seen ANY so late in March. I've got one feeder up and I've not seen boo. I usually have at least 4 or so by this time every year. Barb, you give me hope that they are close. Vera have you seen any?

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Nope, so far nada........I put my feeder out last week..at this rate I'm going to have to change the syrup...although I don't think it will spoil, it's been too cold here.

I keep thinking that maybe next week...crossing fingers.

ve

posted Hide Post
I'M BRAGGING IN CASE YOU CAN'T TELL!!!!!!!!
i have one scout, a ruby throat male and I have all 6 of my feeders out. He has visited each one!

HAPPY DANCE! HAPPY DANCE! HAPPY DANCE! HAPPY DANCE! HAPPY DANCE! HAPPY DANCE! HAPPY DANCE!

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
First sighting for me today !

Posts: 2134 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I now have at least 6 hanging around...at least 2 males & 2 females, so the females are now on the move north too!

Congrats to those of you who have seen one. I'm already to the point of filling feeders nearly every day! Eeekkk! Two more to fill tonight!

Did you gals report your sightings? Please do! Even if you don't get your location added to the map, they use the infor for research, etc.

posted Hide Post
I have another one!!!!! this one is a female, so now i have two!!!!!!!!!!!!
oh crap, it just dawned on me. i have to stock up on sugar.

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Yesterday I saw one which was mostly black. Today this one has been visiting my feeders. Neither have the red throat. Are they different species?

Posts: 2134 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
The one in the pic may be a female ruby throat, they don't have the red color.
Not sure about the other one without a pic...sooo hard to tell some apart.

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Ok, it's April 1....my first one last year was April 4.......mine has 3 more days to show up...then I'm going to get really impatient! Where's my hummer scout???

ve

posted Hide Post
Aw geez , you guys are making me jealous...I have to wait!!

posted Hide Post
Don't feel bad, Jan. I haven't seen one either, but that's not unusual. I see more in the fall than in the spring. No idea why. My friend who lives about a mile away has had a hummer for a couple of weeks now. She also had an indigo bunting yesterday, too. Not here.

posted Hide Post
APRIL 2, I got my first female, at least the first one I've seen!!!!

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
well dang poo....Not one..and this is disturbing me. Where oh where have all my hummers gone. Way, Way Way late! Frown

Picture of Luv R Pups
posted Hide Post
Peach, the ruby throats are such a dark green that I've seen their backs sometimes appear to be dark gray or black in some lighting conditions. So they were probably both female ruby throats.

Luv R Pups
~ It's our relationships, with God and with each other, that really count in life. ~
~~ Gardening, a healthy addiction! ~~

Posts: 4368 | Location: E Cent. GA, Zone 8 | Registered: Apr 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Well, it is now April 5...nary a buzz to be heard. We've had a warm dry day for a change and I've been outside pulling weeds.......if one had shown up, I would have heard him. Dang it.

ve

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
VE & Ruby...wear red if you are going outside to work! That might help draw one in! Big Grin

I still have 6 playing war every evening!

posted Hide Post
I haven't seen one at my house either. I have the feeder out, but.....

I saw a bunch at Ft. Pickens on Friday and then yesterday I saw a bunch at my aunt's house. She lives about 75 miles inland.

I do still have goldfinches, though.

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Someone is being a smarty pants! Roll Eyes Smile

April 7 - 3 days now of wonderful spring temps...nary a buzz to be heard! Confused

Most of the gold finches now have on their summer suits, the bluebirds are laying eggs in the nest boxes, trees are leafing out..where are my hummers?

ve

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
FINALLY!!! was just outside with my first cuppa and heard the familiar buzzzzzz. I looked and there he was. My scout has arrived - April 8th. Yippee.

ve

posted Hide Post
OMG, I just checked the map. There are scouts in CT and RI!!! Wahoo-they're coming this way.

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Luv R Pups:
Peach, the ruby throats are such a dark green that I've seen their backs sometimes appear to be dark gray or black in some lighting conditions. So they were probably both female ruby throats.

Thanks for the reply. I'm trying to decide if I only have the ruby throated hummingbird visiting my feeders.

Are these female ruby throats?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgia Peach,

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Yes, they are female ruby throats....only the males have the red throat. Congrats! You've got two already. I bet there's a male around too. The ladies gotta have a gent you know.

ve

Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Thanks VE. I have seen the males too. Glad to hear they finally found your house.

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Congrats everyone!

Please be sure to find the hummer map and report your first sightings so they can use the info for research purposes!

I think my females are building nests or sitting eggs...I'm not seeing them during the day as much, just early morning & late evening.

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Ditto here too Vera. My neighbor said she had her first on this past saturday. I saw mine Tuesday eve. I've got two! More to show up daily! whoohoooooo