Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  couldn't wait!!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

couldn't wait!! Sign In/Join 
posted
I bought a crape myrtle and a butterfly bush today and got a free cranesbill for making a purchase!! I planted them out by the fence. about 4 feet from it. Is that far enough?
VE you are so right about that tiller. Boy does it go deep. I'll still have grass to work on but it is sure going to be easier. That man does a lot of tilling for folks in this town! He ownes 27 acres of his own! So knows what he's doing.

Carlene

Posts: 1689 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
http://themanfromearth.blogspo...e-myrtle-no-nos.html
#7 talks about spacing

dave's garden says 6-8' for butterfly bush...
http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/128/#b

...but it depends on your variety. did the tag for each bush tell about spacing for that particular plant?

its real hard to judge space when a shrub is little.

Posts: 3864 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Both can be trimmed back as needed to keep them in their respective bounds. And just so ya know, butterfly bushes are fairly easy to start from cuttings. I've done several. Haven't tried a crape yet.

ETA...did you decide if you wanted a vitex tree (aka chaste tree) or not? I have seeds if you want to start your own.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4951 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks bana. I don't know if the tag says anything or not. Maybe I should read it Smile
I just talking to the guy at the greenhouse about how deep to plant them. I hope they survive. They were 50% off!!! All the plants I have I have gotten from him and they've done really well and I love their prices!!
Karen Yes I still want the chaste tree seeds or cuttings. Which ever.

I've taken cuttings from CM from the neighbor's bush and they are rooting!

Glad to know I can trim the CM. I had a BF bush in Colo and loved it. I got a purplish one. I had lilac one.

Carlene

Posts: 1689 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Everything is going to look so pretty!

Posts: 4948 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post