Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cleanup???? Sign In/Join 
Picture of ga.karen
posted
So who is doing yard clean up and who is done? Or who is like me and just now getting a good start on it?

Today I dug out some black/blue salvia that was trying to take over my front porch beds. Those things had BIG nodes on the roots, sorta like rhizomes...some were as big as my fist....and runners going every direction.
I pulled dead zinnias, trimmed off spent cone flower blooms, trimmed one gardenia back into shape and trimmed some crape myrtle that I planted this spring. I didn't "murder" them, I was trimming off branches that were laying on the ground...for more of a tree shape.
Still have lots more to do but at least I got a good start. Some will have to wait until we get some rain...it is horribly dry here.

Forgot, trimmed back the Cherokee roses too. Those things grow FAST and have some super wicked thorns!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5120 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
I cleaned up my porch beds, but there is alot that still needs to be done. It rained last night and is supposed to be cold all week. There is one plant that needs to be dug up, but I want to see if I can over-winter it and mulch it really good. It's a bower vine and when I bought it at Home Depot, it said 'perennial vine'. I should have known better than to buy it! The tag didn't say what zones it was hardy to and I didn't find out that it was an annual for my zone until after I got it home and planted. Then I googled it.

Posts: 3242 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have not even started that yet. Most of the trees here are just starting to turn, even the Catalpa and Black Walnuts have not changed much although I did see on Oak that is all brown. Asters, Sedum, even a Phlox are still blossoming although the Hibiscus is done and can be cut down.
Clean up will continue into mid November.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8188 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
I haven't started either.. NY weather has been great. STill have dahlias blooming alongside the mums. Tomatoes and hot peppers are still producing in the back yard.. Just can't yank anything out that is still looking good.

Posts: 3495 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
My fall garden clean-up was finished a couple of weeks ago as we could get snow anytime from October. Lawn will be mowed for the last time today and I'm still building my compost pile altho it will likely not do a lot of decomposing until spring. Plan to mix these last grass clippings with fall leaves.

Need to mulch my little rose that is supposedly not heavy-frost-hardy but manages to survive somehow but don't like to do it too early. We are not getting frost every night yet.

On to splitting and piling firewood now. Nothing to do with the garden but a fall chore nonetheless.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12755 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Barely started. I have to work on weekends only since it gets dark early here. Begonias and other stuff still looks quite good. Anyway, I have to decorate for Halloween--I don't have time to clean out pots! Smile

Posts: 3275 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
I'm just getting started. Leaves are beginning to fall too.

Posts: 5024 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I have been doing quite a bit this past few days.....until yesterday and today. We finally had an inch of rain, slow and steady. I've got most of the dead stuff cut, got a lot of pots put away already. Still have to bring the porch plants inside for the winter. Long range has the possibility of a light frost next week...a wee bit early for us this year.

ve

Posts: 3730 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just about done. Mums are starting to bloom and have to put some leaves around for mulch. But that's about it. Yippee!

Posts: 950 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Isn't that strange....some of my mums are done blooming, some are in full bloom and the last one is finally starting to open...the burgundy one.
Some of our trees are nearly bare, some are turning, some just dropping leaves..no turning and others that still look full.

I had to water today. It has been almost 4 wks. since we had any moisture and I had some plants that were struggling to stay alive...especially my brugs.
This was the first time I had watered all summer...other than just a squirt or two with the hose..I used the sprinkler today.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5120 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
The weather forecast is predicting rain for today, tomorrow, and again on Tuesday. It's dry here also GaK.

I've trimmed and cleaned only one bed so far. I have a pattern I follow every year beginning with the worst areas.

Good News from Michigan Bulb. They have shipped my order so I'll be planting my irises soon!

I also ordered a cup of zinnia seeds through the Georgia Farmers Market Bulletin and have misplaced them Frown I was so looking forward to having zinnias next year!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Georgia Peach,

Posts: 2312 | Location: Coastal Plain Region ~~ Georgia ~~ Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Ok, pretty much finished up the cleanup today...got all the porch plants that will over winter inside debugged and de-debris cleaned and placed in the sunroom...the rest went into the root cellar. What few pieces of yard art I had are put away, the elephant ears that I dug earlier are trimmed and stowed as are the dahlia bulbs. So other than a few minor things in the actual gardens, I'm ready for the predicted frost/freeze! Porches look so sad and bare.

Oh, and my mums are beginning to bloom.

ve

Posts: 3730 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I've gotten a few more things trimmed back and dead stuff trimmed off.
But now, I'm getting ready to build some compost bins....from pallets that DH brought home for me. Since we finally have a constant (more/less) source for horse manure, I can compost like I should. Just wish I could find some bales of wheat/oat straw to do my "dry/brown" layers with. But I can use use pine straw in a pinch. And when we start mowing the yard again, I'll be able to use some grass clippings.

I haven't put up any of my porch plants yet, but my asparagus ferns are starting to turn yellow and drop "stuff"....which is messy.

We are finally getting wet today! Not much though, just some really, really light stuff! Sure hope we get more in the days to come, but I won't count on it.

posted Hide Post
I cut back the SPV but it and everything else is still going strong!! We got rain yesterday much needed.
I haven't watered in 2 mo. what a change!
I looking forward to tearing out the SPV and see it there are "taters"!
The azalea is still blooming it's face off as is the lantana and HBV. There's going to be lots of seeds from the HBV.
I'm trying to start a compost pile. Hope it works. No trees but I've got lots of ca rdboard from the move!!

Carlene

Posts: 1814 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post