Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Went to the Chicago Flower & Garden Show
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Went to the Chicago Flower & Garden Show Sign In/Join 
Picture of Peppermint65
posted
Haven't been for a few years - it was really nice. One of the features is called "The Art of Gardens" where floral designers present their interpretation of artwork. Here are a couple of my favorites.

Here's the artwork...

Posts: 218 | Location: Chicagoland - Zone 5 | Registered: Jan 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Peppermint65
posted Hide Post
and here's the resulting floral design...

Posts: 218 | Location: Chicagoland - Zone 5 | Registered: Jan 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Peppermint65
posted Hide Post
One more....here's the artwork...

Picture of Peppermint65
posted Hide Post
Here's the floral design....

posted Hide Post
WOW beautiful art work and floral!! TFS.

Carlene

Posts: 1380 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Interesting concept - I like it! Might even try that myself using silk florals.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12603 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Beautiful pictures. Just curious, how were the other displays? I haven't been there in years. In fact, the last time I went it was in Rosemont. I miss going but it's such a pain to go downtown.

Posts: 29 | Location: N IL | Registered: Feb 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
I went to the Philly one years ago and would love to go back....
I'm always amazed at the interpretations that these arrangers do!
How nice! Thanks for posting.

Just wondering, any more pics? We'd love to see them.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Never heard of this! TFS Pepper! Love the Starry Night

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12460 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I love it! The visions of the floral artists are spot on.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Very Beautiful....love things like this. Thank You! I'm so glad you enjoyed the show and shared with us. Got more pictures?

ve

Posts: 3194 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Peppermint65
posted Hide Post
I hadn't been to the show for many years, but I happened to be working downtown that day. So took a 1/2 day vacation and went over to Navy Pier :-)

Here's a few more pics...

These were all over the show - think they are called Live Wall or Live Screen - haven't looked them up yet, but they looked pretty cool.

Picture of Peppermint65
posted Hide Post
Thought this was neat - cement blocks with herbs or small plants growing inside.

Picture of Peppermint65
posted Hide Post
If I only had a spare dresser!

Picture of Peppermint65
posted Hide Post
I've got a small raised bed I'm using as a veggie garden - may add some wood strips like this....

Picture of Peppermint65
posted Hide Post
And last but not least....a good sentiment....

posted Hide Post
Love the blocks with plants. That could a semi-permanent thing if you just stacked them. Also, love the dresser. Neighbors would probably think I was crazy though. Thanks for sharing!

Posts: 29 | Location: N IL | Registered: Feb 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
TFS. Nearby garden club does a similar thing every year with pics and designs. Very interesting.

Posts: 663 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to Navy Pier 3 years ago and I thought that it didn't have enough gardens, that being said, I thought that the exhibits were lovely. I guess that a lot of the smaller garden centers can't afford to exhibit downtown. My daughter and I did a session where we planted a container which of course she promptly over watered at her apartment but it was fun to plant together. I'd love to go to the show in Philadelphia and the one in Chelsea (England) is supposed to be the best ever.

Posts: 3050 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I love the cement block thing......that is pretty cool.........and the dresser too. In my country garden it would probably work......not sure how it would work in a city garden...or how well the dresser would hold up weatherwise. Cute idea though.

ve

Posts: 3194 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post