Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Butterfly Frenzy
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Butterfly Frenzy Sign In/Join 
Picture of vera ellen
posted
We've had so much rain this past week AND again this morning that the poor butterflies must have been starving. We actually had sunshine yesterday afternoon. The flutterbys were in a feeding frenzy and obviously drunk on nectar because getting photographs was not a problem. Usually it's a chase all around the yard with zero results.

I think this is a pipevine swallowtail.

ve

Posts: 3586 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
another one - this dying monarda bloom must have still had some nectar in it.

Posts: 3586 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
There were tiger swallowtails everywhere too. Some were practicing their acrobatic skills.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
another tiger

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
and another

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I'm always chasing them too! LOL Silly tho I think I could fill up a computer with butterfly shots!
My screensaver is a butterfly. My butterfly bush didn't come back this summer. They never last around here. Few years tops. Lovely ~~ Your doing your part to beautify TN!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12932 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
WOW. those are incredible pictures. lucky you to have such gorgeous visitors.

Posts: 3818 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Great shots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I love the swallowtails! I've been seeing more of them the last couple of weeks but still not as many as in a normal year.

Right now, I'm having a bee invasion...both bumble bees & honey bees. But that is GOOD!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4856 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wonderful pictures--I rarely get any shots of them. More rain expected here any minute. It's just like the tropics here, dark skies and storms just about every afternoon. My back yard has spots that are like a bog.

Posts: 3198 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow VE great pics.
Send some of that rain to Ok please.

Carlene

Posts: 1637 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Tropics for sure Paws! Raining hard here now after a bad hair day of humidity!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12932 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Wish I could send some of this rain to those of you who need it. I really don't want to whine because we've had too many drought years.........HOWEVER - LOL. The rain we are getting now is just running off....speaking of bogs - ever seen a hillside bog?

Karen, we have bees too - it's delightful to see them.

Muddy, I can just see you chasing butterflies around the yard, because I do the same thing. Someone should make a movie - it would be hilarious.

Thank y'all for the compliments.

ve

Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
gorgeous flowers and butterflies.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
jeesh, lucky you vera...I'm not far and we've mpt seen but a mere quick 1 minutes shower....which does nothing. I'm 20 minutes south of Memphis. Your probably an hour and a half from me. Y'all did get some good rain the last day or so. Great pictures! My fennel has swallowtail eggs loaded on it. It reseeded from last year, it was six feet tall and I recently cut back some of the blooms in hopes of the greenery leafing out. They are going to starve at this rate. Wowser. Life is about loving, living, moving, butterflies,home, friends and hummingbirds, husbands...in no particular order!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Love your photos, especially the first black and blue butterfly....just gorgeous!

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7426 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post