Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

All That Jazz Sign In/Join 
Picture of muddyshoes
posted
How about this! I got this on clearance about two weeks ago & it was totally yellow & looked half dead! I thought it might live to bloom next summer. I put it in compost from our bin & fed it!
OMG I have it right next to my back steps & I walked outside this morning to this big bloom & another bud on it!!!! Made my day!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: muddyshoes,

Posts: 13168 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I might go back & see if there are anymore left!!
Another shock this morning was in my baltic ivy.
I have those pots of caladiums sitting in the middle of the ivy & I looked down to see a cucumber growing there!!! LOL I did threw seeds down & saw a vine but the vine never looked to be growing anything. LOL Now~~~~something for lunch!:>) Anything shock you in your garden?

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
That's a gorgeous hibiscus, Muddy. No surprises around here but there's not much of a garden.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6832 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Muddy, you're the Plant Whisperer.
Big Grin

Posts: 4687 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
nettie.. i came back on to say that and see you beat me to it. great minds think alike, eh? Big Grin

Posts: 3906 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Ooooo, love that Jazz. And the cucumber...too funny.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7866 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
OMG is right! What a gorgeous flower (I love that plant!) and what a beautiful cucumber! What kind of seeds did you throw down - seeds from a seed packet or from a cucumber?
No surprises here either. Unreal!!! :O

Posts: 2554 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
I agree. Yes, Plant Whisperer.

Posts: 5027 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would we not know it would be PINK!!! Beautiful muddy.
I started some more cukes from seed when ours got mildew so bad just for fun and they have blooms! It's so hot here don't know if they will produce. I water them 2x a day!!
I love hibiscus. I have a double peach one that is blooming right now!
Thanks for sharing your beautiful plant!!

Carlene

Posts: 1815 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Calling me names?!!!~~ LOL I told DH what you were
calling me here & he said, Oh you love it!! LOL
The cuke was in a part shade area? My Dad used to grow them but I never had any luck so quite a shock for me! :>) I think next summer I will try more in that spot! Always fun to share things with you guys!

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I take so many pictures. I found the one I took of it when I first put it in the ground. I'm thinking
the first week in August maybe.

Wavie* It was from a packet & can't recall the type. Sorry

This message has been edited. Last edited by: muddyshoes,

posted Hide Post
Muddy, It's always nice to get surprises.Loks like you lucked out just fine. Always love when I see a plant I like growing somewhere else that it wants, rather than where I put it.

Posts: 955 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Amazing what a little TLC can do for a plant. It's really pretty!
Your cuke looks good too!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5128 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Those tropical hibiscus are beautiful, but I discovered a downside. One year, I bought two of them on clearance to put on the porch on each side of the front door.
They looked great there, but every single day, I had to pick up a couple of dozen dropped spent blooms. Big, ugly, cigar-size dead blooms.
I'll be content looking at photos here from now on. Wink

Posts: 4687 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I've always had one or two in my yard. My Dad grew them from seed & had a whole bed of the 4 foot high ones...so beautiful in bloom. I do pick off the old blooms but what plant doesn't need some sort of attention? There are a few that are effortless but might not be a pretty.