Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

coleus for ve Sign In/Join 
posted
I dug this up and brought it in last fall. I've just left it in the pot and it a completely different color than last yr. It was on the south side last yr. on the north this yr. Think it likes north better!! Smile
update 2014 fall
This yr it is huge and still in the same pot. I'll try to over winter it again. Just left it in the same clay post.
Good luck with yours.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: silly bird,

Carlene

Posts: 1738 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It is beautiful. I left all my coleus go to bloom because the bees love them. Just my way of helping out the bee population.

Posts: 15330 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What color was it last year?

Posts: 7206 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
I have never seen that type. Very pretty.

Posts: 4977 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
It is very pretty. Coleus is mostly a shade plant so the colors really pop then. Good job. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7849 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
metwo it was more red wine color not much green in it.
Thanks

Carlene

Posts: 1738 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Very pretty & different!

Mine all went to bloom too and the bees are at them every day!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4993 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Love it. I got an unusual colored one this year as well. I need to take a picture of it.

Strange that change in locations affected the color of the foliage.

Posts: 3658 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Maybe temps, different sun & shade or amount of plant food? Isn't that something! TFS Its just
beautiful! Nice pic too! :>) It almost looks like
\a begonia? Beautiful right there!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: muddyshoes,

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13098 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It looks like a newer variety that grows much larger than the old ones. I buy lots of them in different colors and leaf shapes. I have found that some look quite different in the semi-shade from those which get more sun. Yours definitely is one that I've bought this year, I will have to look and see what color it is in my container.

Posts: 3224 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ve this one that I over wintered is doing great this yr.

Carlene

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
That's neat!
I don't have indoor space to overwinter plants that large. You're lucky to. I only have a bit of space in front of a basement window that gets a few hours of sun a day, but it's not very roomy.

Posts: 4622 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I had forgotten about that one...absolutely love it. Good luck overwintering again. I'm going to leave mine alone in the false aralia pot and try to overwinter them as well. We'll see.

Thanks again for sharing this.

Posts: 3658 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Love coleus, you don't have to worry if your plants will be blooming at the right time, they have color all the time!

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7528 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post