Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Shade for veggie garden?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shade for veggie garden? Sign In/Join 
Picture of KG in CA
posted
Each summer the southern exposure and many days of 100+ heat bring my garden to a halt. I know that shade will not affect the heat too much, but it will keep it from scalding/roasting anything growing at that time. I am determined to try it regardless of whether it makes sense. Do you think I could use a drop cloth? I was thinking of setting up a "sail" with 2 points attached to the fence and the 3rd on a neighboring tree or pole in the ground. Thoughts?

ETA - Maybe it should be a sail of shade cloth? Air flow would be maintained and it would dry out better after getting wet?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KG in CA,

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7503 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I'd go with shade cloth and many commercial growers use it for very tender plants and at flower farms....so give it a try.
I've thought about doing the same thing to extend the season for some veggies.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4774 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shade cloth can lower the ambient temperatures under them by 10 degrees as well as aid in preventing sun scald. Although I have seen some promote Floating Row Covers as being the same thing as shade cloth they are not, although the
FRCs can offer some protection, just not as much.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8148 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing this info. In previous years...I tried growing cilantro in the sun. Last year, I decided to grow it in a shadier part of our deck. It did so much better there, that I can see these ideas being quite helpful. Again...thank you.

We're already thinking spring and we have snow today. Spring WILL be here!

Posts: 5142 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KimmSr:
Shade cloth can lower the ambient temperatures under them by 10 degrees as well as aid in preventing sun scald. Although I have seen some promote Floating Row Covers as being the same thing as shade cloth they are not, although the
FRCs can offer some protection, just not as much.

Just to clarify this....there are different degrees of Floating Row Covers (FRC). You can get very light weight or much heavier as well as some in the middle. HOWEVER, ALL the FRCs I've dealt with are some what fragile and will rip/tear under certain conditions so they won't last as long as a shade cloth.
example of them tearing is...like when one of my cats jumped on top of mine and proceeded to climb/claw all over it! Roll Eyes

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4774 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Wasn't it Muddy who put umbrellas over some of her plants last year? Some one did that because I remember the pictures.

I'd never thought about using sailcloth...some good ideas here for those who need it.

ve

Posts: 3527 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vera ellen:
Wasn't it Muddy who put umbrellas over some of her plants last year? Some one did that because I remember the pictures.

I'd never thought about using sailcloth...some good ideas here for those who need it.

ve

Yes, it was that silly Muddy! Big Grin