Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Spring babies UPDATE!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Spring babies UPDATE! Sign In/Join 
Picture of zone9alady
posted
The resident Carolina Wrens have made another nest in my middle courtyard.

They took over this clay pot with pothos in it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7301 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I got a pic a couple of weeks ago...you can barely see three tiny eggs.

Posts: 7301 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Today....three tiny mouths, or maybe four!

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Our resident Cardinals have decided one of my Ficus trees is suitable. But no eggs yet.

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Mr. Big Red, as I call him, has been fighting with his reflection all morning.

Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Wow! Talk about nature all around you. You can tell it's spring where you are. All we get is ice and snow.

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
alady~~~Don't those birdies add sweetness to
our days! TFS...Smiling over here!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12506 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
That is so nice to have them where you can keep an eye on them as they grow.

We have wrens and brown thrashers that nest somewhere in the wild area out back. And cardinals, too. Don't know about the bluejays, doves, titmice and chickadees. But, I'm just happy to know they've got a good place to grow.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6255 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
I don't think I have ever seen a bird build a nest quicker than a wren. One of my favorite birds!

Posts: 10369 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
We have babies in one of our birdhouses - can't see them but we can hear them at feeding time!

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7412 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised that they always make their nests so low. Last year it was in a pot less than two feet off the ground and I was worried that the snakes would get them. This morning I saw a stray cat near the nest, until my dogs spotted it and started barking.

I will try to get more photos of the Wren babies as they grow. Hopefully the Cardinals will lay eggs too. Smile

Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
OMG, Congratulations on becoming a birdie grandma! How absolutely adorable is that!!!!For weeks already I keep saying "I want to be a Cardinal Grandma"! I have had a lovely pair of Cardinals hanging around for about a month or so and I desperately want them to lay eggs so I will become a Cardinal Grandma! I will google Cardinal nests to learn more about it and where they prefer to make them. So cute Zone lady!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Oh, how very cool. This year, I made sure I didn't have anything hanging on the front porch. The house finches build a nest every year in whatever I have hanging there. Silly little things.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7726 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
How neat is that!
The house finches try to build nests in the ceiling fans on our front porch...we discourage them as it would go flying when we use the fans.
Our bluebird houses seem busy, so guessing there is either nest building, eggs, or hatchlings there.
The only nest I've seen any place else is a mocking bird nest in a young oak tree....right next to my grape vines...I know what they are thinking & I'll use my bird netting once I get grapes growing!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4437 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
What a neat place for them to build their nest! We had one last year under the deck and you always knew when it was feeding time. You could see the momma looking for food and then she'd come back to the babies, and they would do a lot of chirping. It's so fun to observe them.

Posts: 1109 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Love these pictures. I love birdie pictures....I have to discourage my little wrens from building in my pots because the cats will always find them. Can't have that.

I have never found a cardinal nest, but Mrs. Mockingbird builds every year in the snowball bush in the front yard.

Keep the pictures coming...so neat!

ve

Posts: 3251 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Thank you Wavy!...I'm also going to be a 1st time grandma this July. Smile
Karen, nest on a ceiling fan....oh no, what a ride that would be!
Vera..there's a darn cat I need to relocate sneaking around at night.

Fluffy, Mr. Wren is singing his heart out right now! It's amazing how such a tiny bird can be so loud, especially under a metal porch roof...it echoes!
LOL! Mr. Cardinal is STILL fighting with himself on the patio glass doors. He's totally exhausted.

I have company today so I'll wait to get an update on the babies, don't want to disturb them too much.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
Do these count as spring babies? just got them this morning and there are 15 of them.

Posts: 3158 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
That is sooo cute! DH is planning on having chickens and goats in the future. We always go to Tractor Supply when they have their "Chick Days". We need to learn more about raising them. I recently bought a couple of books on the subject and have downloaded dozens of coop ideas.
It looks as though you have a few different kinds there. What kind are they?

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
The Carolina Wren chicks have flown the coop! LOL! I went out to get a picture of them and they are gone. I guess I shouldn't have waited so long.

But I still have good news, Mrs. Cardinal has decided to set up a nursery in my Ficus tree after all.

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
They are just so cute!

We have some Barred Rocks & we get an egg from each one every day!

Posts: 10369 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
the chicks in the pic are Americana's[easter egg breed], they lay blue or tinted eggs[ i got five of each kind]. Black Australops, they are supposed to lay continously in our southern heat and the last variety are some that i've never grown before. New Hampshire Reds. these are raised primarily for their me
meat. i guess that i didn't read well enough, cause mine usually die of old age.
those are my new babies.

Posts: 3158 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
zone9, here is a site for you to visit & read some of their info, ask questions, just read all the chat, look for coop designs, etc....

http://www.backyardchickens.com/f/

Lots of knowledgeable folks on the forum there.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4437 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the info ladies! Smile

LOL Barb, I will probably have names for all of the goats and chickens. When DH goes to get one for us to eat I will be sad.

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
awwwwwww - I'm sorry you didn't get any baby wren pictures...hopefully we will get cardinal babies. One bluebird nest box has babies because momma and daddy keep flying in with food...another one has 5 eggs in it. I haven't checked the others...and a chickadee is building a nest in one of the bluebird houses. I put up a new wren house this year and so far, it's been ignored......it's up high away from the cats. Silly birds!

Barb, love your chickens. I grew up with chickens...love them. Just too much work now to build the pen (coyotes & foxes), putting them up at night, etc. Enjoy them

Z9, I always check out the baby chicks and ducks too at TSC. Aren't they adorable.

ve

Posts: 3251 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Vera, I bet having the chickens and ducks will be interesting, just don't know how my 2 German Shepherds will be with them.

Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by zone9alady:
But I still have good news, Mrs. Cardinal has decided to set up a nursery in my Ficus tree after all.

Is that spotted egg a Cardinal egg???
Barb, those chicks are so cute, congrats!!!!
I remember when working in a school a few yrs ago, the teacher brought in baby chick eggs to hatch. Adorable. Also, I remember kids getting chicks for Easter a long time ago. What happens when the chicks grow up? Just thinking out loud of course!!! Enjoy them, and Zone 9, cross your fingers, I hope we see babies (or a baby birdie) very soon!!

SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Well I keep seeing the two Cardinals flying in and out of that tree so I hope it's a Cardinal egg, or Mrs. Cardinal has some 'splainin' to do.

Big Grin Big Grin