Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  moving my daffodils
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

moving my daffodils Sign In/Join 
Picture of MyDesign
posted
Hello, I need an advice please.)
I need to move bunch of daffodils from the western wall of our house to the back yard, b/cause of a new structure we are planning to put there.
Is now a good time to move the flowers? Or in fall?
What is the best way doing it?
Thank you in advance.

Posts: 958 | Registered: Sep 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
I know it's not a good time to dig bulbs, but we hiked thru the woods yesterday & I dug some from an old house site. They probably won't be happy this year, but next year they may bloom. Not sure.

The more dirt you can keep on them, the better they will be.

Posts: 10348 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When to move spring flowering plants is one of the most often asked questions. Now is not a good time. It is best to wait until the leaves have turned all yellow before digging them up.
Maybe, if you get enough soil around the roots of the clump so you do not disturb them you might move them now and still have them blossom next year.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8111 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MyDesign
posted Hide Post
Thank you both.

Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
If you can dig sufficient soil around the bulb and have the new hole ready to receive it/them, then you can safely move flowering bulbs.
Be sure to place into the hole at the exact depth it came out of.
Water the bulb immediately. Chances are the bulb will not suffer any flower loss or vigor in performing as it would normally.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I don't know where you are, but if you need to move the bulbs now, in the south you can do it (or any zone where the ground isn't frozen)...you will sacrifice blooms this year, but that's ok...you gotta do what you gotta do. I've done this before with success. Needs and time constraints don't always work with bloom or transplant times. Move your bulbs, they'll be fine.

ve

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vera ellen:
I don't know where you are, but if you need to move the bulbs now, in the south you can do it (or any zone where the ground isn't frozen)...you will sacrifice blooms this year, but that's ok...you gotta do what you gotta do. I've done this before with success. Needs and time constraints don't always work with bloom or transplant times. Move your bulbs, they'll be fine.

ve

Me too! I've moved them all times of the year...but like VE says, our ground doesn't freeze. I planted some LATE, marked down fall bulbs that I had to wait on the beds before I could plant them...so they didn't get planted until either late Jan. or early Feb. They are all up and one even has a bud with some bloom showing! I wasn't expecting any blooms this year!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The flowers that a Daffodil will produce this spring was formed in the bulb last summer after the bulb finished flowering last spring, so digging them now should not adversly affect this years blossoms. If the roots of the bulb are disturbed now, so they cannot uptake the necessary nutrients to combine with what is produced in the leaves, and the flower is not formed in the bulb before the bulb goes dormant then you will get no flower next spring.
That is why you can force a Daffodil in a shallow pan with just stones around the base of the bulb, once.

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8111 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of MyDesign
posted Hide Post
I am in S. Wisconsin, it is still chilly here. I realy am afraid to kill the flowers...So we will wait until early fall, and then do the construction. thank you all))