Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  O.T. Would You Take Winter Clothes Now?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

O.T. Would You Take Winter Clothes Now? Sign In/Join 
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted
Would you take winter clothes offered on "Freecycle" now, if you needed them?
I have the time & ENERGY now to go through my DD's old clothes & finally get rid of them. (I'm on a roll now with doing the chores I usually put off as long as it is p o s s i b l e!!!) I want to get rid of my DD's tons of clothing (all seasons), including several winter clothing. Would you ask for them if you needed them?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2230 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
If someone needs an item, I'd think they'd be happy to take them when they can get them. So go ahead an offer on Freecycle. Besides, winter clothes will be on sale before you know it!

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6198 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
i'd do it now. does 'freecycle' mean you are giving these away? or do they post your ad for free? i wind up giving things to thrift shops because i never have enough to have a garage sale.

Posts: 3535 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is always a need for any clothes. Please consider taking some of your things to a homeless shelter. There are children there in need as well as adults.
Homeless don't have access to Freecycle so they have to get their clothes from shelters. Jusst a thought!

Carlene

Posts: 1371 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
And another place that has a great need is any abused women/children's home.
We have one here and most of these women leave with only what they have on...not even a change of underwear. And many of them have their kids with them.

The abused women's shelters/homes can use just about anything....when these women are ready to leave, they have to set up a house/home all over again...kitchen utensils, drapes/curtains, rugs, odd pieces of furniture, kids toys/books...even old grills.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Yes, on Freecycle everything offered is FREE, on "Craigslist", the ads are free and there are many different topics. My niece got her first teaching job last year from "Craigslist" the week she graduated from college, and my DD got her summer internship from Craigslist last yr. so it's wise for people to check it out! But with Craigslist there have been incidences reported so you do have to exercise CAUTION.
I don't know where there are abused women/children's homes. They are usually kept secret so the abuser can't find the victims. We have no homeless shelters here, but the next town over. Thanks for the suggestions.

Posts: 2230 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
I would check with your local Red Cross or Department of Family and Children Services. I'm sure they can give you some suggestions.

Posts: 2130 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Waverider Wink:
Yes, on Freecycle everything offered is FREE, on "Craigslist", the ads are free and there are many different topics. My niece got her first teaching job last year from "Craigslist" the week she graduated from college, and my DD got her summer internship from Craigslist last yr. so it's wise for people to check it out! But with Craigslist there have been incidences reported so you do have to exercise CAUTION.
I don't know where there are abused women/children's homes. They are usually kept secret so the abuser can't find the victims. We have no homeless shelters here, but the next town over. Thanks for the suggestions.

Wavy, there is usually someone or some business that collects for the abused homes. Call your none emergency number for the police, bet they can tell you who it is.
Ours is a local beauty shop, they keep it all in the back and an employee comes & picks it up every time there is enough for a load.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Just an additional thought....

For anyone who wants to get rid of old magazines or books...the abused home can usually use some of those too and don't forget the nursing homes. Those folks are very grateful to get new reading materials.