Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Roses Sign In/Join 
Picture of vera ellen
posted
This has been a terrible gardening spring, cold, damp, wet...however, the roses have thrived. In fact, it's pouring again.!

Good thing I took a few pictures yesterday.

Belinda's Dream, in bud stage.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Posts: 3177 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Belindas dream fully opened

Posts: 3177 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
American Beauty

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Cinnamon Twist

Picture of Toots
posted Hide Post
another gardener and I , one from zone 7, in Oklahoma, were noticing that our roses are going crazy this year... very exuberant... more blooms than usual... like they're showing off for some reason... moreso than usual.... I have never seen my Tiffany with so many blooms and the Gertrude Jeckyll and American Beauty and Christopher Marlowe and the mini Pinkie are just covered....even the white roses are going boomers....and that's really rare!!!....I'm impressed and I know it's nothing that I did special!!!.... hubby's Double KNockouts are flourishing despite the sickness I've been fighting for them....really weird out there... but I'm lovin' it!!....

looks like yours is gonna do just dandy, too!!...what you've shown us sure is lookin' fine!! that Belinda would have my heart!!!

"Gardening Keeps Me Growing!"

Posts: 26868 | Location: Near Charlotte, NC, zone 7 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
They are all gorgeous but I especially like Cinnamon Twist. TFS

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12594 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Thank you Joy...we nearly lost Cinnamon Twist last year for some reason. I was glad to see new growth and blooms this year.

Toots, agree, haven't seen this profusion of blooms in awhile...didn't take pictures of the knockouts, but they are simply loaded and the yellow is esp. pretty. Perhaps roses prefer the cool and damp to the hot and humid!

ve

posted Hide Post
So pretty. Mine are just starting to bud up a bit. Won't see them till June...

Posts: 656 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Thanks y'all.

ve

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Toots, been on the road and the roses everywhere have been just marvelous. Better than I remember seeing before.

VE, love those roses.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6210 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
They are all beautiful! I thot you were the iris expert & now I see these most beautiful roses!

I only do Knock Outs. Aren't roses high maintenance?

Posts: 10350 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Those roses are just gorgeous VE. What is your maintenance with them in spring to get them to look like that? You probably have good soil, too. Smile

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Nance, no maintenance other than pruning dead stuff, a handful of Epsom salt early in the spring when they start leafing out, worked into the soil at the base, and a toss of regular garden fertilizer broadcast over the entire bed.

The soil in the raised beds is good...amended with composted horse manure and I use ground up leaf mulch, which rots and goes back into the soil. This hillside is orange clay based, it's sticky when wet and cracks when dry...so everything has to be amended.

ve

Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
Very nice VE! I love the second one. Looks like a peony.

Posts: 1093 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
All very pretty and healthy!!!

Carlene

Posts: 1372 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bikerchick
posted Hide Post
That Belinda's Dream is a beauty! Is it fragrant too?

The key to a nice-looking lawn is a good mower. I recommend one who is muscular and shirtless.

Posts: 14121 | Location: San Diego zone 10a | Registered: May 20, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Rosebush is doing very well so far this year im quite pleased.... I Love that Rose > Belindas Dream Looks soooo pretty (zone 5) south jersey

Posts: 20 | Location: Rio Grande N.J. | Registered: Jun 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post