HGTV Message Boards
What would you do?

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7184011632/m/3693926077

May 18, 2013, 01:11 PM
bana
What would you do?
my japanese maple has one of four branches coming off the main trunk that has no leaves. there's also a small branch off one of the 3 good ones that is leaf-less too. the 'dead wood' is obviously not going to leaf out this year. it is my first japanese maple which has done extremely well for two years since it was first planted.

i think it got damaged when the fence was stained and roby walked on the soil behind the tree. even though he was careful, neither he nor i knew at the time about the trees shallow root system.

my question(s):
1) would you cut away the dead looking branches now?
2) is there any possible chance these 'dead' branches will come back next year?

thanks for your helpful advice.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bana,

May 18, 2013, 01:16 PM
bana
another angle.

May 18, 2013, 01:22 PM
jmchab
I seriously doubt there's any life left in that part of the tree. I'd trim all dead material. The rest looks good. Aw shoot, just noticed you're in CA....not familiar with growing conditions on the west coast. However, dead is dead....
May 18, 2013, 01:35 PM
SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
You have probably already done scratch off some bark to see if there is any green underneath? From the picture there probably isn't any.
May 18, 2013, 01:50 PM
ga.karen
I would trim off the dead stuff too...after the scratch test, just to make sure.
If you get the dead out of the way, it will give the rest more room to fill in as it grows. It might take a few years, but it will eventually fill that bare area.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion
May 18, 2013, 01:58 PM
bana
scratch? haha.. too hard to do that. i snapped off some smaller branches and it's dead as a doornail inside. looks like the consensus is to cut off the dead part. thanks for your help.

problem will be the tree will be front heavy towards the patio. maybe the west sun will help fill it out on the back side as you suggest, karen. hope so.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bana,
May 18, 2013, 09:26 PM
ga.karen
Bana, if it starts leaning...get a stake and some of that velco for plants. The Velcro doesn't hurt the plants like other ties can. You can put the stake back by the fence??...so it's not in the roots???

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion
May 19, 2013, 09:04 AM
muddyshoes
Trim the dead stuff for sure. What about a heavy dose of alfalfa tea? I would give it compost & feed it whatever nursery people suggest. It looks hungry! :>)

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)
May 19, 2013, 09:47 AM
owie
I am with what the others said. Usually dead looking wood is dead.