Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sugar Crazy!!! Sign In/Join 
Picture of muddyshoes
posted
Nothing stops them!!! Help~~~~

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13098 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
This is going on at all my hummer feeders! Last summer it was yellow jackets so hung the yellow jacket bag but this summer not one yellow jacket??? Any suggestions ? I sprayed the cooking spray on one & did no good. My hummers are having big fights with them!

Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
Try some peppermint oil!!!!!!!!! I use it and flies don't even bother them. The only drawback is that you have to apply it often.

Posts: 3229 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
This might be a problem bigger than Peppermint Oil but will try it often. Grrrr

posted Hide Post
Don't have that problem, but a male woodpecker has been draining my hummer feeder lately. I can't keep it filled fast enough. Then, when the hummers come it's empty!!

Posts: 918 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
I don't have a solution but I had the same problem with yellow jackets and ants - these look like honeybees?

Posts: 3280 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Yes, honey bees. Take the feeders down for a day or two. You should have enough flowers for the hummers and the bees "might" go find better sources. I think you have a hive VERY close!

Or you could do what I did one year. I put a large platter/tray out with about a 1" edge on it and fed the bees there. They left my hummer feeders alone then. I put it away from the hummer feeders.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4993 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
wow, that's a lot of bees. Yep, I think you have a nearby hive. Lucky you to have the bees....but what a bummer about the feeders.

Posts: 3658 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
WOW is right!

Posts: 4977 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
You can google BeeGuards and see if that might help. They say if they are already feeding it might take a while for them to stop visiting, they will eventually realize they can't reach the nectar and stop.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7529 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Our hummer feeders have the bee guards but that doesn't stop them. When it's hot, the hummer feed tends to gasify a bit and then it bubbles up & splashes out onto the guards anyway. Now I'm not talking boiling and geysers, just minute spraying as it were.

But, yes, taking the feeder down for a day or 2 is probably a good idea. Good Luck.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7849 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Years ago I had a hummer feeder and had a problem with yellow jackets. I am deathly afraid of them...and all bees... so I took the feeder down and never put it back up. I love the hummers but my fear of the bees is greater. For a long time we had boring bees flying around our deck and I wouldn't even sit outside because of them. I used to walk barefoot in the grass but we had some clover that the honey bees loved so I stopped doing that too. I know it's irrational but I just have this fear that I can't overcome. Frown

Grace

Posts: 33 | Registered: Jul 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
There are bee guards on three of my feeders. I just bought new bee guards this year! The one in the picture even has bee guards. I have moved the feeders all around & that only help for about one day! I just read this about a man in a surrounding town>

http://www.cleveland.com/faces...ekeeper_enjoyin.html

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Our apple tree that has been loaded with apples for the past several years hardly has an apple on it now...wonder if this is all related somehow...the apple blossoms were usually covered with bees? We thought the hail might have knocked off the blossoms????

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
you need the bees for pollination. Did these bees just suddenly show up?

Posts: 3658 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
oh, ouch. do be careful.

Posts: 3884 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I did worry they might sting me today ~~ When I used the hose there were soooo many in the air.

I never saw so many honey bees in my backyard ever. Last year the yellow jackets were all over & also had carpenter bees. Wonder where they all went?

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
if by carpenter bees you mean what we call the 'boring bees' that make holes in the frame work of the patio roof, then they came here!

Posts: 3884 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I have some of them too.......they drive me crazy. There are little mounds of sawdust under the lower porch railings and under the little cedar bench I have on the back deck.

Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
yep.. little piles of sawdust under where they bore. seal the hole and they make another.

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
We also have carpenter bees.
I'm sorry that they are good pollinators but they are also very destructive in our area. DH has old badminton rackets that we use...and our population of them has gone down over the past few years. If he finds a hole, he sprays it and then closes it with caulk, so the eggs inside don't produce more of them. They don't like painted lumber but the newer treated lumber (no arsenic) doesn't deter them in the least. A friend of ours has a barn that if you leaned on it any place, would likely fall over due to the amount of damage they have done to it. They built it with untreated lumber not realizing what would happen.
And DH has made several of the "traps" for them...they don't work...never caught a single one!

Muddy, try feeding them from a large shallow dish/bowl/pan...something you can put where the dogs won't be able to get near it.
I have a glass serving tray with a rim that I used and I put it on one of those wooden tv trays way out in the yard. That kept them busy and away from my hummer feeders.
After about a week of that, I took everything away for 2 days (tray & hummer feeders) and didn't have a problem after that. I think mine found someone else's feeders or another source for their food...and the hummers came right back.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4993 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Are the bees still there???
You are so calm, cool and collected, just hosing them down..... I would be running away so fast all you'd see is a dust trail.
I've recently read two cases where women died after being stung by lots of bees, be careful!

Posts: 2521 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
So far they just buzz me!I think it has something to do with the cold weather early Spring. My apple tree that is usually covered with huge amounts of apples is empty. When in bloom there are huge amounts of bees there also...so ? I read that the cold can keep the bees in the hive longer & then we had the hail storms. I think all those bees came out & found no blooms & went straight to my hummer feeders? Pollination is pretty complex & its my hunch.
DH wanted me to refill them so sprayed with oil & underneath with Deer B Gone again & that lasts for a few days. I haven't been out to look for Peppermint oil. Thinking about taking them all down & then I see the hummers at the window. They came last night when the bees were mostly gone & must have had 50 sips before flying off.