Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Be Careful What You Wish For!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Be Careful What You Wish For! Sign In/Join 
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted
I was always jealous of other people's 'volunteer sunflower seedlings'. I moved my birdfeeder over about 2 1/2" feet and now I have several volunteer Sunflower plants starting to grow. I never had volunteer sunflower plants before, but now that it is getting cold, I noticed about 6 sunflower seedlings growing in back yard. I know they will d!e soon. Can they be grown indoors in a pot? They will surely die in a few weeks. Frown

Posts: 2521 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Wavie, never fear, if you have volunteers now, you will surely have them again next spring. There should be enough seeds left in the ground to germinate next spring. I don't know about overwintering sunflowers....always considered them a joyful summertime annual. If you want to try it, go for it and report back next spring.

I have bookoodles of baby 4 oclocks......if they don't die this winter, they will definitely have to go next spring...waaaaaay too many for the space.

ve

Posts: 3663 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
You have your feeder in a good spot for volunteers now so just wait til next year. The light won't be strong enough in the winter months.

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13106 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Wavie, I spread a few of the bird food sun flower seeds on purpose every spring to get some plants. But if you have volunteers now, VE is right, you should have some in the spring too!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4997 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
That is great advice, thank you!! I was planning on planting extra Sunflower plants next year to accomodate the skwirls eating all of them. I realized that "if I cannot win then join them" is the best way to go with the skwirls. Even after I put pantyhose on the sunflowers, the skwirls still managed to eat the seeds. I decided to plant extra sunflower seeds, but now with the volunteers growing, I'll surely have many extras growing without the muss and fuss!! Good idea, thanks again!

Posts: 2521 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post