Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Better Late than Never
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Better Late than Never Sign In/Join 
Picture of vera ellen
posted
Most of you probably remember my whining about our weather delaying the veggie garden planting. We didn't get anything in the ground until after Memorial Day. Thankfully, things are growing and there just might be some fresh veggies here before fall.

The green beans have blooms and there's a few green tomatoes on the vines. You can see where we did lose a few tomato plants and the bean rows are skippy.

Posts: 3498 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
The cucumber vines have babies on them...good news for my pickle eating family.

Posts: 3498 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
A row of sunflowers planted along the edge. The bare spot has two rows of Ladyfinger cream peas..not yet sprouted.

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
A volunteer sunflower from last years row, on the opposite side of the garden. The pitiful look plant to the right of the sunflower is what's left of my squash plant. I had 3 hills planted...momma groundhog and her two babies thought they were delish. The 3 are struggling to survive and putting out new leaves. I've since planted more just in case these don't make it.

ve

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

posted Hide Post
I do so envy you the room for your garden. Wish I had my backyard back again for planting-but not meant to be.....Happy harvesting when the time comes. Love the sunflowers. Woodchucks/or rabbits, etc ate mine for too many years in a row so that I gave up planting them. So cheerful. ((())) Jan

Posts: 843 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful garden, even with its imperfections.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6484 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Wow you have your work cut out for you!! Looks great!

Carlene

Posts: 1546 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
It all looks wonderful.. I always wanted a large garden.. Now at my age, mine is more than enough. Enjoy it while you can.

Posts: 3409 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful garden. So many vegetables. I don't have the space or the sun for vegetables, yours look great no matter what the groundhog family did to the garden.

Posts: 3155 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
now that's a real garden. glad your crops are coming along so nicely so you can look forward to canning time. it would be a bummer to have to shop at a grocery store mid-winter vs going to your own pantry.

Posts: 3765 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
A well-maintained vegetable garden is just as much a work of art as a Monet style flower garden. You've sure got one worthy of respect there, VE. Hope the fruits of your labor will be plentiful!

Posts: 4476 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Yours is looking a LOT better than my little patch & raised beds!
And I didn't see one weed out there...what did you do, threaten them? Big Grin
Looks like you are going to be busy shortly with all the canning!

Love the sun flowers! My volunteer is laying on the ground with blooms coming up all along the stalk. It got blown over in one of our storms.

Are you getting enough rain? Again?
I've gotten rained out 3 days in a row now! Roll Eyes

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4756 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Thanks y'all - we cut waaaay back on the size of the garden this year. Weather just wouldn't co-operate, plus we decided we really didn't need a large garden anymore. The primary things we wanted were tomatoes and cukes. I make dozens of jars of both bread & butter and dill pickes and the grands cart them off all winter. I use the tomatoes in soups and stews, sauces, etc.

Karen, my goodness, we've already recorded 6 1/2 inches of rainfall with more predicted through Tuesday. We've also set records for nighttime lows and daytime highs for July. Our a/c hasn't been on in 3 days. I did a yarden walk yesterday during a lull in the rainfall and noticed that several of my iris rhizomes are rotting. Now that's a real bummer!

ve

forgot to add: that picture was taken before the rains started...it was freshly tilled and chopped, hence the absence of weeds Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
We are pretty close to the same total as you on the rain! It is almost soupy out there.

I've been trying to reset the bricks that hold my mulch in the beds all the way around the house. My edger keeps getting clogged up with mud. My knees are WET & MUDDY, I've been wearing those blue hospital type gloves to pull out the grass & weeds or my hands would be horrible! I've gotten rained out twice today so I gave up. This is the third day that shouldn't have taken more than 2 at the most, and I've still got about 1/3 of it left to do!

But speaking of iris....I'm going to start another thread...take a look!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4756 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Luv R Pups
posted Hide Post
Your garden looks so healthy! Hope all this rain doesn't ruin any of it.

We've also been on the rain parade route over here in E Cent. GA. I still like it better than drought but admit it's getting a bit frustrating, especially when I need to get out and about and have to drive through near white-out conditions.

Your sunflowers are beautiful! I like their color combo.

Luv R Pups
~ It's our relationships, with God and with each other, that really count in life. ~
~~ Gardening, a healthy addiction! ~~

Posts: 4368 | Location: E Cent. GA, Zone 8 | Registered: Apr 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
You have quite a large garden there! I don't think I've ever dug one that large with so many different veggies at one time. Yours looks really neat....I don't see any weeds! Big Grin

I have done tomatoes, bell peppers and green beans, or tomatoes, squash and cucumbers. Mostly tomatoes, those are usually the most expensive and have no flavor from the supermarket.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7376 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
What a gorgeous garden, to me that's huge!!! What do you do with all those veggies, can them or share them with family? Yours is really professional and nice looking, enjoy it!
I am so jealous of your 'volunteer sunflowers'! I love them and I never, ever get volunteers of Anything!

Posts: 2365 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Georgia Peach
posted Hide Post
Nice garden VE...and big! It's so clean Smile It's nice to enjoy the fruits (and vegetables) of your labor.

Here is a pic of a few jars of tomatoes I put up this past week. Though I'm thankful for the rain I do wish we could dry off about a week or two.

Posts: 2200 | Location: Zone 8b | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of thebrownthumb
posted Hide Post
Makes my dinky little garden look even smaller. Smile
Guess we know where ground "hogs" got their name.

There are no gardening mistakes, only experiments. Janet Kilburn Phillips

Posts: 4428 | Location: Central PA | Registered: Sep 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of trish212
posted Hide Post
Wow, what a garden, VE! We have a four raised beds and I feel successful with them. Your's is so impressive!

Georgia Peach, we don't get to can for a few more weeks. You live in the right state to start canning early.

I hope we don't have another drought like last year. We didn't get to do any canning then. Fortunately, MIL had some canned tomatoes that she shared with us.

This year, we've been trying our hand at strawberry jam. Mmmm mmmm mmmmm.

Posts: 5138 | Registered: Jan 23, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
vera.. are all those plants from seed? Eek

Posts: 3765 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post