Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  winter planters
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

winter planters Sign In/Join 
Picture of shook29
posted
Wanting to put together planters for my front porch that will last through my zone 6 winter. Is there anything with purple leaves I can use? I plan to use some type of green pine, blue star juniper and yellow sedum, but would like something purple. Nothing comes to mind. Ideas??

Posts: 870 | Location: PA zone 6 | Registered: Mar 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Not sure what appeals to you but a dwarf pine always looks nice & the nurseries can recommend something to you. I have a book that has ideas if you can get a hold of it from your local library?

The Winter Garden, Structure, planting & romance in the garden in the winter By E. Price Copyright 1996 Full of beautiful photographs

Trimmed topiary is always striking in the winter. Its so harsh around here in the winter anymore that the only purple might be Xmas lights! LOL

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13098 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I don't know how well they would hold up in your area but what about the winter kale & cabbages? Some of them have some purple on them.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4993 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post