Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

owie Sign In/Join 
posted
Did you do any winter sowing??
I'm trying it. Here's a pic of what I've done so far. Not going to do to many more as not sure where to put things yet. I've got another container with more in it another 6 bottles. Can't wait to see if I'm successful or a failure!!

Carlene

Posts: 1660 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good start. Not to steal your thread but this is what mine look like as of today-18 jugs. We are due for 3-6 in. more of the white stuff tomorrow night commute time. Then it's up to a forecasted 48 degrees Fri.!
p.s. any reason why the tall bottle tops aren't taped shut or the caps on??

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jmchab,

Posts: 898 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was told to take caps off so moisture could get in. Don't know about taping them shut.
Check this out.
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/wtrsow/
Lots of good information on here.
We don't have any snow or moisture right now!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: silly bird,

Carlene

Posts: 1660 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Question from this newbie about moisture getting in...

If the soil inside the jug happens to look dry, are you supposed to add any moisture? Or should the process be entirely dependent on snow/rainfall?

Posts: 4536 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been doing wintersowing for some years now. THe way I learned was to do holes in the top and holes in the bottom for drainage. Then to keep the top on and check for too much moisture only.
Put mine out in January and they get snowed and rained on all winter long. But only do those that need cold stratification that early. This is mainly the gallon milk jugs size. They create their own mini greenhouse. This has always worked for me. I always check the moisture content later toward spring when the weather warms up and might dry them out. THen I just take the caps off and spritz them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jmchab,

Posts: 898 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Hey, your winter sowing looks great!!! Wishing your success.

Like Jan, I've always had good luck with wintersowing, but unlike Jan, I leave the tops off too. In her zone, protecting the inside might be a good idea..but here, it's not necessary. She's right about the milk jugs creating a mini-greenhouse effect, and you do need to check for moisture content.

I haven't done my tomatoe seeds yet. I meant to do it this week, but have been extremely sick with a sinus infection. Maybe next week will be better.

It looks like you are well on your way.

ve

Posts: 3604 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Silly Bird - Very good, that's a great start! I just wanted to tell you that when I did it last yr. and wrote the names on the milk jugs, in a few mos. the names wore off and I wasn't sure exactly what was what! I used 'permanent marker'. I don't know where to buy 'laundry markers'. I feel the names on your jugs might fade, so I just wanted to warn you in case you want to label them inside too. (I'm going to!)

quote:
Originally posted by jmchab:
Good start. Not to steal your thread but this is what mine look like as of today-18 jugs.

I'm just dying to know what you planted!!! You don't have to list everything, but can you just tell me a few? I'm just trying to decide what to plant, what seeds to buy, etc. I just get so excited when I hear someone planted 18 jugs!!! (I don't have room for that much but I'm still jealous!) Wink I'm still waiting for the ton of snow to MELT in backyard before I put jugs outside. I really should at least prepare them and get everything ready!
I think you will be happy with the results, good luck!!
Vera - So sorry to learn that you were sick. I hope you are on the mend very shortly and will soon be enjoying your spring!!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2440 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
lol, glad you asked. With all the snow we have had I have absolutely no where to set them. The deck has over 2 feet of snow on it. Well,, I could sit them on the front porch. Never thought of that. But now that I think about it, I don't have any seeds of saved jugs. I am totally unprepared. Thanks for everyone for the discussion. BTW, I am now watching our 4 1/2 month old granddaughter 8 days in a row and then off 6 days. So I am quite busy. It's a lot of work for a 60+ year old but we are doing real well with her. She is a cutiepie.

Posts: 15322 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Waveie I thought the names were on the pic but maybe it didn't show up on your computer here is a pic of the second batch I started.

First batch Stockie, blanket flower HBVine clematis, ***** comb, common milk weed, rose campion
I started 3 more yesterday coneflower, another blue larkspur and delphinium
I have markers inside the jugs too.
Muddy said I need blue flowers around my blue bird bath ;>) and I love the HBVine!!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: silly bird,

Carlene