Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Something New> Sign In/Join 
Picture of muddyshoes
posted
For Me! I got a small start of this!
Anyone growing it? Love coral bells!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13165 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
How do you get these *****ly pear cacti to actually BLOOM?

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Another birdhouse ~~~done!

Picture of NYlady
posted Hide Post
The only cactus of that type that I've ever seen blooming have been in the ground.

Posts: 3494 | Location: Staten Island, NY , USA | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I have two in the ground also & no blooms? Hmm

posted Hide Post
Muddy, what kind of squirrels do you have down there? I haven't seen destruction like that for years! About 15 years ago we had so many squirrels that some of them got very destructive--they need to keep their teeth sharp so they will use whatever they can. Eventually, the population decreased and we haven't seen anything like that, thank goodness.

Posts: 3273 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
I agree, you have some very naughty squirrels. I have your coral bell...plus another variety as well. Mine look very sick this year, not pretty at all.

Posts: 3730 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I love coral bells ever since I saw a feature article about all the different colors in a BHG magazine. I think I don't have enough shade to grow any, though.

Posts: 4683 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
nettie, do you have a place that DOESN'T get direct sun? Bright light and dappled sun are fine for this plant.

Posts: 3242 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Your coral bell is beautiful.

I don't think cacti bloom every year. Some only bloom every few years or so. Your's look very healthy.

Posts: 5023 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Very naughty squirrels. Wow, sassy things. Your cactus didn't bloom probably because of the weather. The winter was brutal & I really thought mine was dead, but it finally got new growth but no blooms for me either. I'm thinking next year will be good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7866 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I love that color on the coral bells! I am partial to fall colors so it's perfect.

I have the common Pr.ic.k.ly Pear cactus growing in different areas, but the only time I saw it bloom was in this pot. The soil is mostly sand, perlite and pebbles. The only time I water it is if it's starts to shrivel. I just let it do it's thing in the full sun. Pieces fall off and root in the hot bare sand so I guess it doesn't need much help.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7574 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
On taking another look at yours....mine may be a different variety...mine have really long thorns...OUCH!

Our resident squirrels chew on everything...the address sign, the fence, they even chewed through a string of white lights I have on the pergola.

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7574 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Maybe sand is the secret? I think I put it in regular cacti packaged potting soil. Very pretty.
or maybe its just not hot enough here?

Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Over watering maybe? But it looks so healthy that I hate for you to stop doing what you are doing.

In the semi-desert it is hot and dry with very little rain. Could be your air is not dry enough.

By the way, the flowers are not always pretty. Sort of ugly and usually only a couple appear.

Your green color looks pretty.

Posts: 5023 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
The *****ly pear around here have sort of curved thorns...I KNOW, I've had enough of them in my fingers.
As zone9 said, they don't bloom every year, but when there is a huge group together it may look like it does...but it's usually blooming in a different spot.
All the ones around here are in the ground...rock hard Ga. clay and still did just fine during out 6-7 major drought. In fact, I think more of them did bloom during that time.
DH won't let me have any on the place! Big Grin
They spread pretty fast here!

I think the ones here have pretty blooms. They look a lot like what zone9 posted.
And we are humid here...might be the reason for some variations?

ETA...I forgot, I have a lime green coral bell. It's coming out next year...it looks out of place where I have it and it doesn't do anything...just sits there!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5116 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Those cactus grew down in Florida too, so don't worry about the humidity. 'Course, I was trying to remove them from my walking path but they did bloom occasionally.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6820 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Plants act so differently up here.