Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Calla Sign In/Join 
Picture of muddyshoes
posted
Gee one of my patio calla lilies look to be green?

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12461 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I had many lovely peonies this year but on one bush I got a few beautiful big blooms & then I noticed more buds that~~~~turned black & fell off?!!

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I am having luck with day lilies tho!! :>)

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
First Monarda bloom of the summer

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Muddy, sometimes the buds are just too small to develop into flowers. Lots of times, I'll snip those little ones off & let the big buds take over. Your lilies look great!!! If that calla isn't supposed to be green, I'm betting it's a yellow one & will show true color when it opens fully. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7705 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Luv R Pups
posted Hide Post
If I remember right, my DM's yellow with red edges calla lily starts off and ends green. But it's so striking during that colorful middle period, it's worth the wait. I think yours is just not at it's peak yet.

Beautiful lilies and monarda too.

Luv R Pups
~ It's our relationships, with God and with each other, that really count in life. ~
~~ Gardening, a healthy addiction! ~~

Posts: 4368 | Location: E Cent. GA, Zone 8 | Registered: Apr 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the color of lily also the monarda. Do the butterflies like the monarda? Great pics as always!! Keep them coming.

Carlene

Posts: 1382 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Thanks for those replies/ good info for Muddy!

Birdie, Think the hummers & bees love them. My mom
used to fill half the yard with the stuff! LOL

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
When I had monarda, the sphinx moth (hummingbird moth) loved them, too. Had to get rid of mine because of powdery mildew. If I ever get more, they will be the mildew resistant ones.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7705 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lovely monarda--I also had problems with mildew but they eventually were pulled to make room for more daylilies!

Posts: 3050 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Can't recall where I got the Monarda. So not sure if resists the mildew. My mom's got that sometimes
but it never killed it....it just kept spreading!
It does look ugly if that happens as I recall.
I think they tell you to water at the base of the plant & not to water at night (like with phlox)
I only have a small plant that has returned but continue to try to get it going in my beds. I have one small pink variety in another location that has returned also so maybe this time!