Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Recipe Sign In/Join 
posted
Need recipe for non-melting bird suet for summer. Make my own regular suet but it doesn't hold up in the hot weather. Anyone have one that won't melt or go rancid with the heat?

Posts: 655 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I don't. I buy the no melt blocks during the summer IF I feed suet. They have one out now that the base is meal worms. My woodpeckers are going nuts over it! Got them at Walmart...$1.24 ea.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4305 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Jan, I have one but rarely use it anymore...the bought ones are so cheap now. I do like Karen and buy those at Wal Mart, same thing she gets.

I think this is the recipe.

2 cups lard
1 cup each flour and yellow cornmeal
1 cup oatmeal
you may need to increase flour/cornmeal if mixture is too soupy.

Melt lard, add other ingredients...stir in birdseed and anything else you want to add such as raisins, dried fruit, etc. Pour into greased mold and refrigerate until set.

ve

Posts: 3172 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wavy
posted Hide Post
I just buy them for 99 Cents (when on sale) at the supermarket. I wouldn't make them if you paid me!!! (bad enuf I have to cook for my family!) ;^) You're the best!!!

SPRING HAS F I N A L L Y SPRUNG!!!!!

Posts: 453 | Location: "The Garden State" ~ N.J. | Registered: Jul 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, yes, I buy them, too. And am presently running out. Did put out homemade one found down in freezer and it went like hotcakes....
Don't feed heavy in summer, - Think I'll save last three for warmer weather...

Posts: 655 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post