Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Will someone show me what they did with ajuga
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Will someone show me what they did with ajuga Sign In/Join 
posted
thinking of using it as ground cover. some of mine faded out not sure why, so replant some somewhere.

Posts: 4563 | Location: midwest | Registered: Aug 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
It seems to tolerate shade and acidic soils here, we have it growing under and around a Black Hills spruce and at the base of Oak Trees, near the Hostas.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
my gardening shed is in dappled shade. it stays moist in that area and the soil is awful, but i have ajuga, chocolate chip next to the shed.

Posts: 3140 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
Speaking from personal experience, Ajuga...or what is known by the other name...Bugleweed...and I stress the 'weed' part, is a groundcover that shows off a pretty blue flower which grows about 3" - 5" high ...and the pretty part stops there.
It is invasive....boy is it ever invasive...it will get into places you never knew a plant could go...it can surround other plants....even the small ones...and it will grow practically anywhere....even, as I can testify, on top of tree roots.

Like any other invasive pest.....ajuga will please many...but when you're not looking, will take over and the job then becomes how to remove it.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
You must have a much better growing situation for it then we do Loonie. Ours pretty much stays put, and may creep out into the lawn a bit, but gets mowed off so it does not spread much. It was kind of hard to get started for us too.

Now Lily of the Valley is my weed bane! It seems to want to spread thickly all over. I have pretty much gotten rid of it, but some creeps back in every year, it seems. I liked the little flowers, but it died back to muddy ground every fall through winter. Not a good ground cover in my book.

Posts: 9429 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
I don't think I've ever taken a pic of my ajuga and won't until I dig it all up and remove the weeds that are intermingling with it. While I like this plant it is quite invasive for me and I cut it back from the edge of the bed so it doesn't encroach on the lawn. I'm planning to use it in a few other areas as it is a nice groundcover IMO.

Interestingly I have no problem keeping Lily of the Valley in check as it's planted under coniferous trees where the soil is poor as the trees take all the nutrients and moisture. The L of the V has only spread a little in many years. In fact I've thought of moving some to a better area so it will spread more.

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12597 | Location: north of 50 in Canada | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I'd never heard of ajuga...had to look it up. Don't think I've seen it down here or didn't recognize it if I did see it.

But LofV, I can't get to grow! We just don't have enough cold weather for it to do it's thing & come back. I got some to grow for 3 yrs. but it got smaller each year, last year it didn't come back. And I think that was the 4th time I had tried.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4322 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Interesting how we all have different issues with the same plants...just varied in the soil and growing conditions and how it changes dynamics.
There are also little micro climate areas that can be present in the same landscape too.

posted Hide Post
It is surprising to read your comments. I do well with invasive! but at my age maybe I should change my tactics. Because I suspect that is why I lost my ajuga. I grow this groundcover with varigated leaves and it has upright pale yellow flowers. I suspect it won the fight between those two and also while I wasn't looking maybe took out some hostas and wild violets including white violets. Maybe I should tame them a little before adding the ajuga. Or maybe I forgot I had them. I think the the lily of the valley got lost there too. I notice there is a little variety. I suppose the color is a little mediocre.

Conrad, I had read that east of the missippi is suppose to be acidic soil. I have noticed a lot of moss except where I want it. So I guess I am good for the soil. I noticed it in a shade gardners landscape a few years ago. Not the harvey garden. But another woodland one which had rockery and very step paths in the woodland that held the ajuga. if I remember right it was under plants, which might have kept it in check.

Barb in Miss. I think I have average soil maybe I should amend it a bit.

Joyluck- I did have my lily of the valley under evergreens too and I think it does well enough. Enough to crowd the vanilla scented plant I have with little white flowers. Or should I say that little plant hasn't done all that well there.

Loonie I have a brown thumb so invasive agrees with me,,, but like I said, as I get out there less and less, I'll keep a watch on it. I love lavender colors, and the leaves seem interesting.

Karen- I also love Bishop Weed, but am regreting where I planted it by the hostas and the house.to much contrast going on. And I get a little rust in the later part of the summer. So will be cautious with the ajuga and keep it with all the other invasives.

My daughter and I, and my sister-in-law love the scent of the lily of the valley. and I've always loved Mauget perfume. Not sure if I spelled it right. Mother-in-law said they used to grow around here near the wooded streams. amazing.
I would like to see the difference of the pink flowering variety too.

In another post I did I showed a link of Jan harvey garden.In one of my fav spots of her garden was the blue hydrangea with the white hydrangea and ladies mantel with probably the coral bell plant which has colored leaves. It could have been a burgundy colored ajuga --- maybe, and maybe not. But there was only the one plant. If it was ajuga I suppose there would have been more of it.

Thanks so much for helping me.

I looked again at the Harvey garden and don't think it's ajuga-

This message has been edited. Last edited by: loverofdesign,

Posts: 4563 | Location: midwest | Registered: Aug 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been searching my photos I took, and don't see it though it would bloom earlier than july. I also don't see her use lily of the valley.

posted Hide Post
I gave a good going over and don't see it

posted Hide Post
However she did use some invasives if this is what I think it is or a look alike.

posted Hide Post
here's a better shot of maybe a better idea for burgundy or dark red instead- I suspect is coral bell. Not sure what the variagated leaf plant is by it.

posted Hide Post
sorry my camera is so bad, esp with whites, or my skill is bad--- maybe i'll do a walk around and see??

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
I totally love Ajuga. It's a weed block for me. It goes anywhere it wants to in my shade garden. It is competing with Creeping Jenny, which I like better. But I lost the battle!

The bees love the flowers!

Posts: 10350 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
The flowers are much more intense in color than they show up in these pics.

And walking on it doesn't bother it one bit!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patty louise,

Posts: 10350 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
I too am fighting a battle with Lily of the Valley. It travels underground so I don't think it will ever leave me.

Most of mine is under the azaleas so last year I put some in a pot. Think I may like this idea. I can enjoy their fragrance & they won't go anywhere else!

A d**n violet is in the pot - that has to go!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patty louise,

Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Very pretty photos of lovely garden. I kind of like the L of V in the pot. Solve a lot of issues that way. They do tend to be such a short bloomer, nice to get them up higher for the scent.

posted Hide Post
wow, Patty, I am glad you put in the pic. I love anything that flowers like that and the color is fantastic esp with your pink plant. Love that color pink. it almost made me thing of a little pond of water in that shape and the blue. In the photo of the jenny plant and the ajuga, what is the bush behind the bench. Very pretty green.

posted Hide Post
I've done that too, pot up the l.o.v. so daughter can enjoy them, she lives in apartment. I do scillia in pots too. Plus it brings the scent up higher. Seeing your photo has me wanting to try a rhodendron or azelia again. You must have great soil too.

Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
Here is my ajuga growing around some stone steps. I aquired this from someone else and it has spread quite a bit. Actually, it was in another area behaving nicely for several years and I took plugs of it to go around the stones last fall. It's already filling in. I've got heavy clay soil and did not amend that area at all so I bet it would go wild in good soil.

Jan Harvey's garden looks beautiful. It looks like coral bells (heuchera) to me in the last pic with the burgundy leaves.

Patty Louise, great pics! I love the way your ajuga sweeps across the whole area.

Posts: 1098 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Love mine too! Just need the right spot for it
so that it can spread out. If it dies out in the center just add some compost & get regrowth.
Its such a nice bright blue to be seen come
Spring. I have it under some maple trees & as it takes over~~well less mulch is needed. Its
looking beautiful right now.

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12450 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Ooops ~ almost forgot! If anyone has pink lily
of the valley...will find something to trade
with you!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12450 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Muddy shoes, I don't have pink lily of valley. It takes me so long to figure out where to put things. cause well it means cleaning out some aggresive spaces sometimes throwing and otherwise where to move it to. and I find it's fall already and I didn't figure it out. I like your placement next to what seems to be some burgundy or redish leaves.

Original fluffy, the white stone really makes the color stand out. love it that way. My rocks are yellowish. I suppose if it creeps in the grass you can just mow it off.

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Thank you LOD! The pink in the first pic is an azalea.

quote:
In the photo of the jenny plant and the ajuga, what is the bush behind the bench. Very pretty green.

That is a huge juniper. Was here when we moved in. A great bunny home - they love it!

Thank you Fluffy! Your ajuga looks so natural around the stones! Great idea.

Muddy I had never seen the pink until in a pic on Pinterest. It's beautiful! Wonder if it's fragrant like the white?

Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
Thanks Patty Louise and LOD, I was eager to get something planted around those stones and since I had the ajuga already growing elsewhere, I figured what heck, it's free.

Posts: 1098 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
What's a Jan Harvey Garden? I'll have to look that up!
I've only been successful with the basic burgundy/green ajuga. I've bought a few other ones (there are several, some variegated or with skinny leaves) but they've always managed to disappear.

But I've even found that the basic one grows even in full sun with a bit of watering, or in light or full shade with no extra watering. I don't mind it in the lawn either and enjoy those flowers.

Sorry Muddy, NO pink lily of the valley. I do have a little bit of the white, and it hasn't spread excessively, YET! My MIL had uncontrollable LOV.

For me, gooseneck loosestrife is very pretty but a big pain as it sends roots out underground.
At least the ajuga is more like strawberries...runners on top and easy to pull.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
I have Chocolate Chip too. I've noticed it barely blooms in the shade and will rot if watered too much. Mine is spreading good but a whole patch of it died when I planted in it a moist area. It's doing well in raised planters.

Whether You Think You Can Or You Think You Can't..... You're Right - Henry Ford

Posts: 7276 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
zone Nine lady- gorgeous. going to give varieties a try. The exchange would be a good place but more than likely was today-- snowed and cold with the wind.

A Jan Harvey garden is a garden that belongs to Jan Harvey. I think shes a woman. Shes a person who bred a whole new hosta. She was trying to do something with that one. Not sure how she made out with it. She had been on tour before and I hadn't been able and the year I took the pics I was so grateful cause I had been dying to see it. I have my fingers crossed some good ones this year too.

The photographer for weddings and graduations collaborates with her and takes pics there.