Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Window garden Sign In/Join 
posted
I am hoping to put some plants into my room and I would also like to use them to add some privacy to my front window. I have limited space because of the blackout curtains I use to sleep, but I was wondering if there is some way to make some kind of a plant grow up the inside of the window. I only get indirect light, but a lot of it and I want plants that will stay green through the winter.

Posts: 20 | Registered: Sep 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Try a philodendron.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7838 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What direction, North, East, South, West, does this window face?

The sign of a good gardener is not a green thumb, it is brown knees.

Posts: 8173 | Location: Twin Lake, MI USA | Registered: Aug 19, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Loonie
posted Hide Post
Due to the number and types of plants that might suit your situation, I suggest you visit a local book store which has ample shelves of books on houseplants.
You can then determine whether a certain plant can survive on the available light and the amount of space you are prepared to give it.

Houseplants generally do quite well given indirect light---as long as they receive what light the plant requires to stay in good form.

Remember....all plants must drain...so a vessel must be provided so the drainage doesn't harm furniture or floors. There are ways to put plants into a pot, then into a pot, to let drainage water not sit at the roots. But space must be provided.

If you are unfamiliar with growing houseplants, I urge you to look at the books that describe how to care for them.

Posts: 458 | Registered: Mar 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
I have had ivy in an indoor indirect lighting for several years. Several times it grew up a thick string all the way to the ceiling and I had to cut off the top part. Not to worry, they grow back quickly. Go here for pictures from the internet to see what one women has done with indoor ivy:

https://www.google.com/search?...-ivy.ece%3B615%3B413

Posts: 4940 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post