Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Plan is coming together!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Plan is coming together! Sign In/Join 
Picture of patty louise
posted
Last year when I first planned the boxwood garden.

Posts: 10350 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
DH putting the plan in motion! He's a wonderful guy!

Posts: 10350 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Last year after planting my tiny boxwood & many daffodil bulbs.

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
This year I put Dee Runk boxwood in each corner for some height.

And the daffodils are blooming!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: patty louise,

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
These are called Thalia & they are very fragrant!

I bought some Forget Me Not seeds to sprinkle among the bulbs when they finish. And moon flower vine seeds for the tuteur. I have never planted flower seeds - hope they do OK.

Thanks for looking!

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Patty Louise...that looks awesome...and it is filling in fast isn't it. Love it. You will have great success with the seeds. For get me not seeds are very easy to grow and will reseed themselves for a couple of years. I love the blue of the dainty little blooms.

Thank you for sharing your project!

ve

edited to add: If you have never planted moon flower seeds, here's a hint. They are slow to germinate and dislike being transplanted. I start mine in peat pots indoors so there is no transplant shock.......also, soaking the seeds overnight helps...I've never had much luck with the nipping of the ends like the package suggests. It needs to be really warm before you put them outside, then they just take off.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: vera ellen,

Posts: 3177 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
Oh, Patty. Just gorgeous. I swear one of these days I'm heading north and I'm stopping by Vera's house and then I'm off to your house!!! Anybody else want to get on my destination list?

What kind of soil do you have? Sandy, loam, clay, what? It looks gorgeous.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6210 | Location: Northwest Florida | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
patty, your boxwood garden is very handsome.

FFG, i'll be right behind you. of course i'll have to meet you at your place and see your lovely garden too.

PL and VE.. my two gardening guru's. i always stand in awe of you both when it comes to creating beautiful gardens.

oh, and now i know one of your secrets... planning. i come home with something i've seen that i love and then have to figure out where i'm going to put it. Big Grin

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bana,

Posts: 3535 | Location: SF Peninsula Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just love it!!

Posts: 656 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Thank you VE! Glad you told me about the moon flower seeds.....I was just going to clip them.
Do I clip & soak?

Thank you FFG - it would be so nice if we could all visit each other & see everyone's gardens! We have sandy soil & I love it!

Bana thank you so much! I keep trying to make my yard maintenance free & every year it seems that I make another area. I am planting more perennials so I don't have to spend so much money every year.

Thank you so much jmchab!

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I love Thalia...I have some in front & back yard. (not that many!!!!) Wow I think in years to come people will be paying to visit your gardens! I'd love to have your garden budget!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12450 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a beautiful restful place!! Your garden is always beautiful. TFS.

Carlene

Posts: 1372 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted Hide Post
Wow - each picture just got better & better. Your choice of plantings fit great with your garden design! Beautiful!

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Thank you Muddy! For the life of me, I don't know why I ordered that many bulbs. I will have to dig some as soon as they die back or they will take over! Must have been a senior moment! Well I always tell DH, we don't travel so I spend my travel money on the garden!

Thank you Silly Bird! I hope I am getting closer to the restful part - every time I sit down I think of something I want to do.

Thank you SSTR! The hardest part for me is knowing how to get the look I want. It has taken many years.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
Patty,

Looks like a grand place for a grand lady to sit and admire her gardens. Love your vision and patience with the plantings.

Enjoy!

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9325 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nance425
posted Hide Post
Wonderful plan PL. Where can one find Thalia? Is it a daffodil?

Posts: 4582 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: Dec 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Oh goodness! It's beautiful and coming along very well! Gonna be a super nice place to sit & mull what to do next! Big Grin

I'm like bana. I find something I like & then when I bring it home...I try to figure out where it should go.
I've moved quite a few things cause I didn't like how they looked after I'd planted them...and my beds are all more "free form" or "country"...just not as filled in as most "country" gardens like VE's! Maybe some day!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4314 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jeanette
posted Hide Post
Patty what is Dee Rank Boxwoods are they like pencile trees.Also do you have animals?Show some picture of your farm animals please. I would love to see them.

Posts: 1408 | Location: Conway, S.C. HORRY | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jeanette
posted Hide Post
Whatis the name of your tiny boxwoods?

Posts: 1408 | Location: Conway, S.C. HORRY | Registered: Sep 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Thank you Beau's Rose! With age, I have learned patience!

Thank you Nance! Thalia are heirloom dafs-almost 100 years old & I thot they would be nice with the age of our house. And they are fragrant! I ordered them from Colorblends. Kind of ordered too many! LOL!

Thank you Karen! Hey, I do the same thing. Every spring I am playing musical plants. My favorite thing is dividing day lilies & walking around the yard with them looking for a home. I am always moving stuff!

Jeanette Dee Runk get tall and a little wider than the sky pencil hollies. I have a couple that are 10' tall. They remind of Italian cypress (which I can't afford). NO maintenance. Love them. The small boxwood are called Morris Midgets. They are slow growing & get 12" x 12" so they stay small. I am lucky that I have a good friend that runs a green house & gives me contractor prices. Smile

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Here is my crazy DH with Andy on our deck....He is so sweet (both a**es) LOL!

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Here is Annie. She was born here Dec. 31, 2010. She is so cute1

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Here is the family. Andy, Amelia (baby mama) & Annie. They are such fun.

Picture of Toots
posted Hide Post
oh, I wanna kiss that soft little nose!!!... the garden is really beautiful, lady!!... a great plan and done up RIGHT!!... as are all your 'visions'!!!...

"Gardening Keeps Me Growing!"

Posts: 26868 | Location: Near Charlotte, NC, zone 7 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Hey Toots! Nice to "see" you here! Thanks for the compliment! We need some pics of your flowers!

I love to kiss their noses! Smile

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
A cute "family" you have! Yes, those soft noses are inviting! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4314 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jeanette
posted Hide Post
Patty love the donkeys.I wish i had some goats i have got some baby chic right now and a pair of free range Peacocks and still don't know where they came from and i got 5 Guineas yesterday.

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Karen every now & then they will sneeze on us! LOL!

Jeanette here is one of our guineas on the bench. We had 40 (yikes) & sold all but 7. They are some bug eating creatures! They roam during the day & we put them up at night.

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Here is one of our goats being silly, wearing weeds on her head! They are so fun to watch!

2 of our older ones died this year so we just have 3 now.

Picture of Jeanette
posted Hide Post
Oh patty i want some goats so bad.What kind are they?I had about 30 Guineas but the went over in my brother and poop on his drive so i got rid of them and last year we had so many insects on my hedges & i said i would get me some more this year
and i did care if they poop on his wife in the pool i would not get rid of them again.Here is what we are building now for them to sleep in at night & will let them free run in the day

Picture of Jeanette
posted Hide Post
This one of the five i got yesterday.I just love the color but i don't like the white ones so i hope when i have babies they want be white

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
That's going to be a nice large home for them!

I have never seen that color! Love it! We have 2 white ones - one is named butt head because he chases the others away from the food.

Our goats are Afri can pygmies. They stay small.I would love to have some fainting goats but I bet they are pricy.

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
have so enjoyed this picture thread Patty Louise....Your whole set up is so inviting! Thanks for sharing!

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1174 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post

Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
Patty Louise, I admire your talent! Your boxwood garden has turned out great, like something that people would pay to see. One day I hope to live on more land so I can play more.

I also planted for the first time some forget me not seeds. I don't know if they will come up. The seed packet was years old. Also, I sprouted for the first time some moonflower seeds. One is in a large pot with a trellis on the front porch. There are two more that I haven't decided where to put yet.

Posts: 1093 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Thank you so much Fluffy! Let me know how your forget me not seeds do. I haven't even planted my yet - the dafs are in the way!

Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
I so appreciate sharing my gardens with all of you! Most of my friends aren't into flowers so I get my inspiration here.

(Maybe I need to change friends!) LOL!

Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by patty louise:
I so appreciate sharing my gardens with all of you! Most of my friends aren't into flowers so I get my inspiration here.

(Maybe I need to change friends!) LOL!

Yeah, I know what you mean. None of my friends are gardeners and I wish I had some real life people who could come and give me suggestions. But I'm glad I have everyone here!

Posts: 1093 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post