Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  When Summer Is Over
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

When Summer Is Over Sign In/Join 
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted
How do you clean your flower pots that were outside? Do you use any bleach? Thx!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Waverider ;),

Posts: 2440 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Wavie, I am a bad gardner......I don't do much of anything. If the pots are outdoor pots, I turn them on their sides to keep them from freezing and cracking during the winter. I've never been one to wash and bleach out containers. Maybe that's why I've never had those really lush containers that some of you do..Frown

ve

Posts: 3602 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Here in the hot Texas weather, we don't need to empty our outdoor containers. Next spring we fertilize the soil, wait about a week and then plant seeds or starters.

Posts: 4922 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joyluck
posted Hide Post
Years ago I scrubbed my pots with a bleach solution but for many years now I just empty them and maybe rinse them with water. After the first year of doing that when I had no problems I've continued. I store my pots in my garden house which is not heated so figure that few organisms live through -25F!

Perhaps if one has problems with mildew or soil insects it might be a good idea. Or if you just really like the look of super clean containers! Big Grin

Lucky

"I have always had an aversion to the concepts of in style and out of style." ~Rose Tarlow

Inspirational pics: http://inspiration4u.shutterfly.com/

Posts: 12742 | Location: north of 50 in Canada zone3b | Registered: Feb 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of patty louise
posted Hide Post
Never cleaned mine either. I pull out the dead annuals, store the pots in a shed & use the same dirt in the spring. I am a bad gardener also. LOL!

Posts: 10423 | Location: Mechanicsville Virginia | Registered: Jan 26, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I only clean the ones that are brought inside. The large patio pots are hosed out well & stored up in the attic or in the garage. The older I get the less I do! Haha

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12975 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, geez, add me to the bad?/lazy gardeners out there. I don't clean mine either. Empty, and store for winter. In the spring if they are too bad I might clean/rinse them, but rarely have to.

Posts: 896 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
We must all be 'bad' gardeners, cause I do the same thing. The only time I use bleach water to wash out my pots is if I've had a plant that I knew had a virus or something was going wrong with the plant.
I do the same as everyone else. If they are outside pots, I wash them off with a hose in the fall and put them in my shed. Sometimes, I don't even do that. I will dump out the soil and if I'm in a hurry, I'll just stack the pots up and maybe later I'll rinse them off.

Posts: 3208 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Clean out the annuals and store for next year. Only think I watch are the pots that I bring inside and sometimes I drag them in and out for awhile depending on the weather, so I don't always get them cleaned either. I usually run out of time to get everything done.

Posts: 3200 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Wheeee, what a relief to find out that I'm not the only "bad" gardener out there.

ve

Posts: 3602 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Very, very Interesting!!! Cool I learned that gardening is not all black & white! Lots of gray mixed in, so to speak. I have a raised gardening bed. Last summer, my yellow peppers I planted got the "wilting" fungus. I was so upset & pulled them out. I did tons of reading & was going to Solarize the raised bed. I was convinced the fungus would live in the soil for yrs. & yrs. & I could not plant in there w/o sterilizing the soil First! I procrastinated & at the last minute decided to just transplant the tomato seeds I started indoors into the raised bed. I did absolutely NOTHING to amend the raised bed soil. I even removed many worms & gave them new homes. I planted the tomato seedlings into raised bed & explained to them: you're on your own now. It's sink or swim time. I was sure they would not do well with the "bad" soil. Doncha know these were the prettiest tomatoes I ever planted!! No fungus on the leaves - perfect!!! My sunflowers in same raised bed were beautiful too. That's what I learned this summer - gardening is not an Exact Science!!! Just because one yr. it was diseased doesn't mean G@D doesn't have plans for them Next Yr. I was shocked & thrilled!!
After no one answered my question about washing the pots I took them out after they were washed & dried & then Added Some BLEACH......... Live & learn!!!

Posts: 2440 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
And another bad one here too! Big Grin
Most of mine go into the garden house for the winter. If the plants are dead, they get pulled and the dirt gets emptied into my 5gal. bucket....as long as there weren't problems in with the plants or in the soil. I just add some composted manure, mix it all up & use it again for more plants.
If there was a problem or my bucket is full, then the soil gets dumped into one of the few thousand holes or low spots in the yard. Maybe some day I'll have them all filled up???
But most of my stuff over-winters here.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4873 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post