Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Goofy plant Sign In/Join 
Picture of beedeeess
posted
I live in NJ where we have be having minus degree temps. In my front garden there is a plant that looks like an off white straw flower. When the sun is out or it is bright this plant stands up straight with flower buds open. When it is overcast or raining, sleeting or snowing this plant is laying flat on the sidewalk with buds closed tight. Have no idea what this is as I've never seen a plant blooming in the dead of winter in NJ.

Posts: 310 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How about a picture??

Carlene

Posts: 1820 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Is it a shrub, even if a small one?
Witch hazel typically blooms in December/January and has a feathery-looking off-white to yellow flower. (see photo)
I'm not sure if it "sits up" and "lies down" as you describe, though.

Posts: 4699 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Oh yes, please post a pic if you can. We'll help you figure it out.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7871 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Since I have already found a dandelion blooming in my yard, even with all the minus temps, I'm wondering if your plant might not be a dandelion. The description certaily fits how a dandelion stem will react to sun and temperature.

ve

Posts: 3763 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
Trying to post a pic.

Posts: 310 | Location: Southampton, NJ | Registered: Nov 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
Every time I try to add a picture it tells me I'm exceeding the size limit. I'm trying to add it as an attachment. What am I doing wrong?

Picture of still tryin
posted Hide Post
Your picture is too large and you need to make is smaller. Open up your picture folder and hover the cursor aka pointer over the picture. The size of the picture will appear with KB after the number. You want your picture to be 150KB or smaller.

If you have paint you can re-size the picture and make it smaller using that. Make sure you save a copy of the original picture first. Open the picture with paint by right-clicking on the picture, a list of options will appear. Click on Open With and choose Paint.

The picture will appear in the Paint program. Look at the options on the top. I'll attach a picture of what you will see. Click on the
resize option. It will open up and you see two rows of numbers with 100 listed. Start changing the size by changing the numbers listed from 100 to 75. Unless your picture is ginormous then choose 50.

You can use whatever resizing program you don't have to use the Paint Program.

Once you have your pictured re-sized to 150KB or under click save. Then retry posting your picture using the attachment option as you did before and your picture should post.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: still tryin,

jpg

Posts: 2656 | Registered: Jan 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I downloaded a FREE program called ImageResizer to run with Windows. Actually, its considered a Windows Power Toy. Anyway, once its downloaded, if you right click on your photo, your drop down menu will give you the choice to "resize photo". For posting on these forums, I choose "small". It makes a copy of the small photo and saves it in your album.

Then, go to your post and click "add attachment". Browse your album until you find the small photo you want to add and click on it. The hit post message. There you go. Very simple to use and you don't have to mess with numbers.

Here's what a picture looks like. Pretty big, huh?

Oh, and posting pics to the Landscape forum is the same way as here.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Florida Farm Girl,

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6853 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
Still trying to post this picture.

Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
Finally did it. Here's another pic as plant is coming up midway.

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
well darn...now it's so small I can't distinguish anything. Sorry.

ve

Posts: 3763 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Ta-da! That's a start, Bee. Could you try again and not reduce your photo quite as much this time?

Posts: 4699 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
I'm trying

Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
Here's the other one.

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Good Job! Ok, here's my take. It looks a lot like what we call Rabbit Tobacco here. It is a weed or a native wildflower, however you prefer to call it. I think it's actually in the balsam family. Obviously, it is very hardy.

Now I'm anxious to see what the others think it is.

ve

Picture of Barb in Mississippi
posted Hide Post
I agree with you, vera ellen. I thought that's what it was, in the smaller picture, but was hoping for a larger picture.
we have sooo much of that stuff in the pasture!

Posts: 3244 | Location: Holly Springs, MS USA | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
I've never seen that in real life, but it sure does look like the online images I'm finding. Looks like you nailed it, V.

And now you know how to post photos, Bee... Congrats!

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
We have a lot of rabbit tobacco in the pastures around here and along the roadsides (if the county doesn't mow them). Like Barb said, it is very common. As kids my brothers and I would sneak and smoke it.....yes, smoke it!

NettieJay - you've never seen rabbit tobacco? That's amazing. I'm pretty sure it's common in fields even in Missouri.

Not sure if it's "nailed" yet or not........we'll see what the two experts say - GaKaren & Toots! LOL

ve

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of rabbit tobacco, either. Will have to google some images. Smile

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7871 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Rabbit Tobacco~~? Hmm Going to have a look. I don't recall that being discussed here

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13189 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I'm not an expert! Especially on southern weeds. I think we have it here if I'm thinking of the same plant, but I don't ever remember having it in Ill.
I know I'm always pulling out a plant that looks a lot like that one...and I had to look it up too! Razz

So it's up to Toots! She is more familiar with weeds down here than I am and so are both of you...VE & Barb! Big Grin

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5139 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I never heard of Rabbit tobacco. This looks like little white straw flowers. I moved about 15 miles away from by previous residence and never had the stuff here like cactus. What is cactus doing growing in NJ? Then somebody tells me there's a NJ cactus. I've lived in Jersey all 65 years of my life and never heard of a NJ cactus.

Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Silly me! I just noticed that cute white mound of "snow" with black button eyes in the top center of your first pic! He/she is very well-camouflaged for winter ... Big Grin

posted Hide Post
I didn't see the snow ball with eyes until Nettie mentioned it. Cute.

Carlene

Posts: 1820 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Oh, I saw the snowball. Cute.

We have cactus growing here in Wisconsin, too. Odd, huh? It withers in the winter & plumps back out for the summer & has pretty yellow blooms. Who knew?

~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of beedeeess
posted Hide Post
You guys have great eyes! I looked up the rabbit tobacco and sure enough as soon as I saw the pictures I knew you were right! Interesting facts that it is used for lung, sinus problems, asthma, stomach upset. Smoke and deeply inhale or brew in a pot and inhale.
Just never saw this plant before.

Oh, the snowball is Barkley, he'll be eleven next week.

Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Hehee, Barb and I are just old country gals with pastures and weeds.

I'm glad that you got a successful ID. Never knew that other stuff about rabbit tobacco. I always considered it "just a weed". Wow. I wonder if the pharmacutial companies know about the healing properties.

ve

posted Hide Post
I saw the puppets and didn't look further than that. He's so cute.

Posts: 2323 | Location: Arkansas Zone 7 | Registered: Aug 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post