Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  OT Ipads or tablets?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

OT Ipads or tablets? Sign In/Join 
Picture of SSTR (Stop & Smell the Roses)
posted
I would like to get one of these, but don't know which kind. Do they both do the same things? Tablets are cheaper, that's about all I know. Any tips?

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Sorry SSTR - don't have either one...bumping to the top so some of the more technical savvy folks will see it.

I do have a kindle that I'm not very fond of.....prefer holding a book in my hand...Old school don't you know. hehee

ve

Posts: 3663 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
i don't know much myself but i would go with iPad if i could afford one. if my cpu notebook ever fails, thats what i will get to replace it.

tablet has better resolution than iPad.. more pixels. but iPad has better battery life and there are more apps available for iPad.

this is a lot of reading but you may be able to scan thru to what catches your interest.
http://computer.howstuffworks....-android-tablets.htm

Posts: 3886 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks Bana, I'll check in to that site.

Posts: 679 | Location: TX Gulf coast, zone 9 | Registered: Mar 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My vote is iPad. Go with a mini if you are looking to save money. Love mine!

Posts: 676 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
I have an iPad and I love it. My DH bought it 2 yrs ago, and I have no idea why he bought it. I love it but the only thing is I cannot get my e-mail from the iPad. It is very convenient and light-weight if you want to go on the internet and don't want to schlep something much heavier. I think ours cost about $600, but not sure. I am sure there are many different price ranges and they now make even smaller sizes. I love it even though I didn't know we needed it. I will never get a Kindle. I love real books!!!
(It was convenient after my accident and I was couch-bound for 3 mos. and didn't want to go downstairs to use my computer. I used the iPad while recooperating.)

Posts: 2521 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have internet access, you should be able to set up your email on the iPad.

posted Hide Post
Yikes, getting my e-mail while away from home computer is a big reason I want one of these. We're back and forth to Kansas so much I want to stay connected.

posted Hide Post
I don't know what you carrier you have for email, but you should be able to click on the email icon and set it up. If not able to do that, almost all email accts can be accessed via the web.

Picture of Beau's Rose
posted Hide Post
I have the ipad with a data plan. That means I have internet if not connected to wi-fi. The books for dummies are helpful with set-up.

Yes you can set up your email to read or reply as needed. I have our home and my personal accounts on ipad.

Do you have a cell phone too? You can sync ipad and iphone to see your appts, contacts, etc across each device.

Do you use itunes? It will transfer to ipad also.

It really depends on what you want to do on the device.

Do you use windows or windows apps now? If so you may want to get that type for compatibility.

I use the ipad when traveling with maps. The evernote app is also useful and lets you pull up info on other devices. Plus another app lets me check out library books right on the ipad. Smile

Links to threads here for additional research. Good luck on your decision!

http://ths.gardenweb.com/searc...m_name=Computer+Help

~Like sands through the hourglass
~So are the days of our lives

Posts: 9490 | Registered: Oct 09, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks B Rose!

Picture of Grapefruit
posted Hide Post
I love my iPad. !!!! I am able to get my mail on it and on my iPhone. I have taken it while doing foreign travel.

You can FaceTime with your family while you are away and you do not need to call. It takes great pictures, too. My only problem is that I cannot post pictures to these boards. It says that they are too large, and I do not know how to make them smaller.

I put my iPad on the counter while using a recipe from online. It is so convenient!

Posts: 3228 | Location: central PA | Registered: Jan 08, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also use my iPad on the counter while cooking. I have found that sometimes I can crop my photos using the edit function and get them small enough to post. Or you can email them to yourself and send them as small. Then open your email and save the photos. They then will be small enough to use.

posted Hide Post
Not an expert but from what I understand, the ipad does not have many problems with virus or worms, while you have to have virus protection on a Microsoft tablet.

On the other hand there are some sections of sites I cannot use with ipad because it requires, can't remember the name, maybe flash player, that is a Microsoft product.

Have an ipad but if I had to do it again I do not know which I would pick. I think you would be happy with either.

Posts: 7215 | Location: North MN & Northern AR | Registered: Oct 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had the iPad for 3 years and my life would now be incomplete without it. I can do everything on the I pad that I can do on regular desktop, except print. However, if I bought a wireless printer I could print off iPad. It's great in car while traveling, great on airplane. I use it in every room of both my homes, including the lanai and patio.

Posts: 3149 | Location: Michigan and sw Florida | Registered: May 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I am now the happy (I think) owner of an Ipad! Got it yesterday, a mini one. I'm writing this from my laptop though because on my Ipad I can't locate the discussion boards from the HGTV website.

posted Hide Post
Ok, never mind--I went back to my laptop and copied the web address for this board and entered it on my IPad so I'm in business. This is going to be fun having you folks so handy!

Picture of rubyruby
posted Hide Post
Hubby just bought me an iPad too. It had iOS 6 but it sent me a upgrade to 7. Do not upgrade to 7' it has horrible glitches and sometimes goes into possessed mode. Once upgraded to ios7 you can't go back. Wish I had never hit okay. I love it, my dh needs to hide it cuz I don't get anything done playing words with friends.

"In the spring, at the end of the day, you should smell like dirt"

Posts: 1180 | Location: Houston, Tx Zone 9 | Registered: Jul 13, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post