Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

frost Sign In/Join 
Picture of shook29
posted
We are expecting frost the next two nights. I pulled the tender plants into the shed. Will it be too cold in there for my mandevilla?

Posts: 862 | Location: PA zone 6 | Registered: Mar 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
It should be fine if the door is closed. We are expecting it to dip to 35 tonight. I am tired if this cold weather.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
shook~~if it falls below 50 in there I'd bring it inside somewhere! I just came in from covering everything I could but ran out of covers/boxes. I tented a few areas...not sure if it will get us but if it does much of the new growth on some things will be black. It has happened in the past. I am worried about my hosta & peony buds. I heard the frost warning for much of Ohio. I plan to go out at dawn & water my beds before the sunlight can hit them & sometimes that makes plants stand right back up.

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12464 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
My mandevilla stays in my garden house each winter. I only try to keep it 40º or above. Do you have a work light with a reflector that also clamps on something? If so, plug that in & direct it towards you plants but make sure it can't touch anything flammable. That's all I use in my garden house. A 100W bulb is plenty of heat.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4352 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
We got down to 41 last night. Much better than 35. Hope you all made out alright.

Posts: 15207 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
36 here last night but we managed to avoid frost so just one more night and then it looks like warm weather is back.

Posts: 3050 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
scheesch, what is it with this weird weather? We had a light frost ourselves last night...just patchy, and just a glaze in some of the open areas. I went out after watching the ten o'clock weather and covered up my tender containers and tomato plants. Not sure how low our temp got, but we were predicted mid-30's........who ever heard of a frost this far south in mid-May?

Good luck girls...looks like Mother Nature is having "episodes" again.

ve

Posts: 3208 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
DH said the forecast for tonite is 30!!! I just pulled my floaters (water hyacinth/water lettuce) from the pond to bring in-What a pain...but don't want to lose them. No annuals planted here yet. I agree, crazy weather for this time of year.

Posts: 667 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
I just bought some of those floaters last week and now mine are in a bucket.
Cold here also. Our frost date is May 15th, but we usually can plant sooner.

I hope to put them back after Wednesday...and plant the annuals I've been pulling in at night too.

I bought a mandevilla too, but haven't taken it outside.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shook29
posted Hide Post
Well, I decided to bring the mandevilla in and just cover the rest. We did have a fairly hard frost last night, but most things covered faired ok. Some others bit the dustFrown Just can't cover everything. I guess that means another trip to the greenhouse! DH will be thrilled...$ down the drain! Smile

Posts: 862 | Location: PA zone 6 | Registered: Mar 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
It get sooo cold! I know! I hate to take chances. I always feel like I want to cover
everything!! Certain plants seem to suffer more than others. I know my bleeding hearts, black lace & allium leaves, peony buds, unfurled hosta all turn black in a hard frost. Many recover in a couple weeks & just look ugly!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12464 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
Twelve short days ago we had 5 inches of snow on the ground...a week ago, a low of 31, today record high of 100!
Yech! Summer in the middle of spring is not nice either. Frown

Posts: 9433 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Going to be 80 here today! Mandevilla went outside last night along with all the baskets and flats that I had in the house. My ES blooms on old and new wood but I don't think that its blooms are as big or pretty as those on my plain old hydrangea that I bought for $15 at the grocery store. If it doesn't rain soon, we will have to water some of the plants. We got some last Friday but not enough.

Posts: 3050 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post