HGTV Message Boards
frost

This topic can be found at:
http://boards.hgtv.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/7184011632/m/2223905077

May 12, 2013, 07:30 PM
shook29
frost
We are expecting frost the next two nights. I pulled the tender plants into the shed. Will it be too cold in there for my mandevilla?

May 12, 2013, 08:13 PM
owie
It should be fine if the door is closed. We are expecting it to dip to 35 tonight. I am tired if this cold weather.
May 12, 2013, 08:46 PM
muddyshoes
shook~~if it falls below 50 in there I'd bring it inside somewhere! I just came in from covering everything I could but ran out of covers/boxes. I tented a few areas...not sure if it will get us but if it does much of the new growth on some things will be black. It has happened in the past. I am worried about my hosta & peony buds. I heard the frost warning for much of Ohio. I plan to go out at dawn & water my beds before the sunlight can hit them & sometimes that makes plants stand right back up.

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)
May 12, 2013, 09:05 PM
ga.karen
My mandevilla stays in my garden house each winter. I only try to keep it 40ยบ or above. Do you have a work light with a reflector that also clamps on something? If so, plug that in & direct it towards you plants but make sure it can't touch anything flammable. That's all I use in my garden house. A 100W bulb is plenty of heat.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion
May 13, 2013, 06:44 AM
owie
We got down to 41 last night. Much better than 35. Hope you all made out alright.
May 13, 2013, 03:07 PM
16paws
36 here last night but we managed to avoid frost so just one more night and then it looks like warm weather is back.
May 13, 2013, 05:52 PM
vera ellen
scheesch, what is it with this weird weather? We had a light frost ourselves last night...just patchy, and just a glaze in some of the open areas. I went out after watching the ten o'clock weather and covered up my tender containers and tomato plants. Not sure how low our temp got, but we were predicted mid-30's........who ever heard of a frost this far south in mid-May?

Good luck girls...looks like Mother Nature is having "episodes" again.

ve
May 13, 2013, 06:02 PM
jmchab
DH said the forecast for tonite is 30!!! I just pulled my floaters (water hyacinth/water lettuce) from the pond to bring in-What a pain...but don't want to lose them. No annuals planted here yet. I agree, crazy weather for this time of year.
May 13, 2013, 07:47 PM
jvelo
I just bought some of those floaters last week and now mine are in a bucket.
Cold here also. Our frost date is May 15th, but we usually can plant sooner.

I hope to put them back after Wednesday...and plant the annuals I've been pulling in at night too.

I bought a mandevilla too, but haven't taken it outside.
May 14, 2013, 05:34 PM
shook29
Well, I decided to bring the mandevilla in and just cover the rest. We did have a fairly hard frost last night, but most things covered faired ok. Some others bit the dustFrown Just can't cover everything. I guess that means another trip to the greenhouse! DH will be thrilled...$ down the drain! Smile

May 14, 2013, 08:33 PM
muddyshoes
It get sooo cold! I know! I hate to take chances. I always feel like I want to cover
everything!! Certain plants seem to suffer more than others. I know my bleeding hearts, black lace & allium leaves, peony buds, unfurled hosta all turn black in a hard frost. Many recover in a couple weeks & just look ugly!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)
May 14, 2013, 09:45 PM
conrad
Twelve short days ago we had 5 inches of snow on the ground...a week ago, a low of 31, today record high of 100!
Yech! Summer in the middle of spring is not nice either. Frown
May 15, 2013, 07:51 AM
16paws
Going to be 80 here today! Mandevilla went outside last night along with all the baskets and flats that I had in the house. My ES blooms on old and new wood but I don't think that its blooms are as big or pretty as those on my plain old hydrangea that I bought for $15 at the grocery store. If it doesn't rain soon, we will have to water some of the plants. We got some last Friday but not enough.