Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Went to plant sale today.....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Went to plant sale today..... Sign In/Join 
posted
very early in a town about 20+ miles from my house. They had 2500 plants for sale and a huge crowd that wouldn't quit. Hadn't been to this one before-but it waas well worth it. Lots of little red wagons. Got some bugbane(black cohosh)(Actae/Cimicifuga), Boltania-Snowbank, Virginia Bluebells, crested iris, and red lobelia.....
Our local town garden plant sale is next weekend (I'll have to try to stay away!!)

Posts: 672 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Good for you. Were they good buys? I love plant sales.

Posts: 15212 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Everything was in quart/gallon pots and went for $5/ea. So basically, yes.

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Wonderful choices! Great summer fun!!! Waiting
to see you fruits of you labor at the end of the summer!

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 12480 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a great haul! Glad you got some nice plants. ((thumbs up))

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4378 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Good for you. Sounds great. Enjoy.

Posts: 15212 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Score!!! Wanna lay money on you staying away from the local plant sale? Wink

ve

Posts: 3225 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, you see, it's like this......the local plant sale is super cheap!!!! And I lost my coneflowers and can't wintersow them till next year.....and then there's those plants the wood chuck ate....and I'm revamping the back yard garden....so.....you are probably right about the odds. And I have this disease (CHAD)-remember???>>? LOL!!

Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
Lucky you! Lots of good choices!
Pretty much all I've ever gotten at our local Master Gardener sales are invasive stuff...that's why they have it to sell...LOL!
Happy planting!

Posts: 3243 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Jvelo-That's what I did all weekend..pull invasives. Years ago thought they were real bargains...before realizing what a pain in ensuing years. The more I dig LOV the faster it fills in. That and periwinkle. Then the birds leave me scads of bittersweet. And so much more.
Sigh-that's why spring is such a chore.

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Oh goodness, I planted periwinkle ONCE! Never again! That was way back before I knew better!
That was at a house we rented...it may still be going strong there!
And LOV won't grow down here. It might live for a couple of years and even put out a bloom stem or two...but then it dies. Too much heat here!

But we have our own invasives down here...a whole different set.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4378 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
The only invasive I ever planted that spread was mint. And then it did not upset me because I love the smell. What is LOV?

Picture of theoriginalfluffy
posted Hide Post
Been there, done that with mint. Now I keep it in a pot. Well it sounds like you got some nice things at the plant sale. I don't know how you can resist the other one if the prices are good.

Posts: 1102 | Registered: May 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jvelo
posted Hide Post
Lily of the Valley is LOV.

I've gotten gooseneck loosestrife and a few other things I can't remember off the top of my head, that are very invasive. The worst are the ones that travel under the soil surface. So hard to pull out!
Mint I know to plant in a pot, not the ground.

Posts: 3243 | Location: Putnam County, NY z5 | Registered: Jun 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Several years ago I planted three obedient plants. They bloom in late summer so I thought that would give me some late color. Now, over half my garden is overgrown with the stuff, and I need to pull it out everly year. (It twoo grows by spreading under the soil so you never get it all out.)

Posts: 274 | Location: Upstate South Carolina | Registered: Apr 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is supposedly an obedient plant, called "Miss Manners" (white), that is no so aggressive. I don't have it. Like you I pull the stuff constantly.

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I bought something from Blue Stone a few years ago. I don't remember what it was other than it was cherry something or other. It has low growing leaves that look sort of like a grape leaf and it gets a stem that comes up and had pink bell flowers.
The info on their sight did NOT say anything about it spreading, but boy does it ever! Since I got 3 & planted them in different places it is trying to take them all over. I "think" I've finally gotten it out of one are but there are 2 more to go! I'm going to have to just sit down out there & keep pulling to get it all!

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by english_rose:
Several years ago I planted three obedient plants. They bloom in late summer so I thought that would give me some late color. Now, over half my garden is overgrown with the stuff, and I need to pull it out everly year. (It twoo grows by spreading under the soil so you never get it all out.)

I think that is what I have. Someone gave it to me and last summer it was really pretty but now it looks like it's really spread quite a bit. Pink flowers, bloomed later in the summer than anything else. Between that and the bee balm, I've got quite a little patch going. Bet it will be pretty this year but hopefully not too difficult to maintain.

posted Hide Post
Fluff-Can't remember if it's a native or not, but I think it is. However, if you can keep it under control it's a great pollinator. Bees, etc. love it. Wish I had more room for it...and yes, it is the pink one.

posted Hide Post
I'll have to post a pic this summer and see if you can identify it. They were really eye catching!

posted Hide Post
GAKaren, What a pain! I wonder what that one is.