Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  Hummer and hibiscus...
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hummer and hibiscus... Sign In/Join 
Picture of KG in CA
posted
This little fellow sits in the Japanese maple guarding the feeders which are above. He chases off the other hummers. I haven't had this happen in previous years...

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7509 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KG in CA
posted Hide Post
The variegated hibiscus is going to town right now...

This message has been edited. Last edited by: KG in CA,

Summers are just this side of hell, but you don't have to shovel sunshine...

Click on the left to show albums
http://s76.photobucket.com/use...brary/?sort=3&page=1

Posts: 7509 | Location: Highland, CA Zone 9b  | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
KG - hummers do that - it's in their nature. I'm surprised you haven't had it happen before. They are very aggressive. Cute little fellow. Great shot. They are hard to photograph (for me).

I've never seen a varigated hibiscis.....it is a pretty bush.

ve

Posts: 3554 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love the hummer. I only seem to get females. Love the variegated hibiscus, too. Pretty.

Posts: 873 | Registered: Aug 27, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a wonderful picture of the hummer. I've never seen a variegated hibiscus. I have to take my hibiscus inside in the fall and then baby them over the winter.

Posts: 3183 | Location: Ohio | Registered: Feb 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Great shot of your hummer. Yes, they chase each other.
I just filled 5 feeders this morning & 2 are nearly empty again! In the evening from about 6pm til total dark, you have to be VERY careful on my front porch...4 of my 6 feeders are hanging at the outside edges there and they chase all up/down it all evening. We get "buzzed" on a regular basis! Big Grin

Your hibiscus is beautiful. I've seen the variegate, a lot of them in Hawaii.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4816 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
The hummers around here are very territorial. They sure are brave for being so tiny.

Love the variegated hibiscus!

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7406 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Great pics!!

Carlene

Posts: 1596 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of owie
posted Hide Post
Love your hummer.

Posts: 15313 | Location: Harford county, MD, zone 6 | Registered: May 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post