Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Country Sights Sign In/Join 
Picture of muddyshoes
posted
Took a ride...took this from the car. Pretty beds.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: muddyshoes,

"Those that throw mud, lose ground!" :>)

Posts: 13165 | Registered: Apr 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Ahhh Thought of Vera. This was filled with butterfly bushes. The price was $185 Kinda steep I thought but darling. This was outside a little gift shop filled with whimsey.

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Had to share this with my garden board groupies!

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
LOL! That cartoon was GREAT!

html

Posts: 2539 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
I thought this group might like it! :>)

This is my patio with my morning glories (Ott)
just opening. I planted some in two other places so I would have the late color. They haven't been a reseeding problem & growing for years now. I take all the vines right to the compost bin when the cold weather hits. DH has sifted some compost for me for my beds & does it look great. He turns & sifts & I get to spread it. I gave some to all my huge hostas!

Picture of Florida Farm Girl
posted Hide Post
I'm loving all the gardens I'm seeing up here. I particularly love those loose, sprawling beds like that one.

Got a chuckle from the cartoon, too. Thanks.

www.floridafarmgirlsworld.blogspot.com

Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

Posts: 6823 | Location: north Georgia mountains  | Registered: Dec 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pretty bed. I love the cart but agree pricey!
I threw out MG seeds this yr and also soaked some till the sprouted and planted and never had a one come up! Yours are really pretty.
Thanks for the giggle!

Carlene

Posts: 1814 | Location: NE.Ok zone 6b | Registered: Oct 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
Love that first pic! You MGs look great. I agree, that little cart is sort of pricey, but pretty.
I'm tired today, so took me a couple of seconds on the cartoon.... Big Grin Cute!

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 5116 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bana
posted Hide Post
pretty bed in pic #1. you sure don't see that here in CA these days. all the lawns on the block are dead except for the house at the end of the block. it has a brand new sod lawn. i'm thinking they did it because their house will be put up for sale. i doubt it will stay green for long.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bana,

Posts: 3905 | Location: Northern CA Zone 10a | Registered: Aug 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of junk collector
posted Hide Post
Oh my! Such glorious glories! Mine finally popped out two small blooms, so I'm hopeful. Ground is just now greening with last year's seeds.

LOL love the cartoon!

TFS everyone!

Posts: 3479 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nettiejay
posted Hide Post
Love your glories, Muddy. Those are the really dark blue ones, aren't they?

Your other pics are great, too... as always!

Posts: 4683 | Location: zone 6b, Missouri | Registered: Sep 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vera ellen
posted Hide Post
Loved these photo's..and esp. the cart...and that first sprawling bed. Your MG's are gorgeous, so healthy looking. Mine are drooping from lack of rain...and alas, watering just isn't happening right now.

Your post brightened my day...thank you

Posts: 3730 | Location: southern middle Tennessee | Registered: May 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of joy37
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the laugh!

Am loving your photos.

Posts: 5024 | Location: zone 7, West Texas | Registered: Feb 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
What is the secret recipe for Morning Glories like that, pray tell???
I planted some last year, they never flowered, but wilted every single day in the hot sun. I thought Morning Glories LIKED the sun. Are yours in the shade? I am determined to get some pretty Morning Glories in my natural lifetime (still have some seeds, they grow but don't flower.... Wah, wah, wah)
Do you use old, horrible soil and no fertilizer at all??? GORGEOUS!!!
P.S. Love the cartoon!!!! Smile

Posts: 2545 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Wavie ~~~Hi GF you are so funny! The ones pictured do get full sun...well, maybe a wee bit of shade since right on the house. I plant them as soon as I know there will be no frost. I cover with a box top/garden flat if nights are cold. When sprouted its a good idea to mulch them a tiny bit at first so the roots are protected until they grow deep as with most seedlings. I don't just plant a few seeds ~~~I like to over seed. You can always thin.
If they will be going up a trellis. Plant the
whole packet! Anything that flowers need to be fed fairly well. I make sure the spot is healthy & amended. If the roots hit clay ~~ I doubt if it keeps growing. I have another trellis in part shade (only becuz its the only spot I could put them) These have just started to open but doing fine. I noticed some of the bottom leaves had little bite marks & saw a few grasshoppers so think they are the guilty ones! I like Miracle Grow & Bloom Booster. They might get a little drink of that a few times as they are growing up the trellis. I have some in a pot under the trellis & (the ones pictured) in the ground.
You can do it! They should do well for you. Take some notes for next Spring. Give me your addy & I can save you some seeds. I tend to buy fresh seeds fairly often just to try new kinds.

Isn't that cartoon a hoot! It sounds exactly like some of you guys chatting it up!

Picture of flboy
posted Hide Post
Do they draw ants? My Passion vine drew many, many ants.

html

Posts: 2539 | Location: Sarasota | Registered: Jan 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
Wonderful garden photos! Love the cart and the comic strip.

I grew Grandpa Ott on my front trellis before I added the Confederate Jas. They would bloom profusely until the sun hit them in the late afternoon. On cloudy days they stayed open longer. =http://s15.photobucket.com/user/zone9alady/media/Plants/MorningGlory.jpg.html] [/url]

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7574 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Pretty alady!! Never see ants with these here. Do you?

Picture of zone9alady
posted Hide Post
When I see ants on a plant there are usually aphids close by, you know how much they love each other! LOL Or either they are getting juice from the plant themselves.

But no, I don't remember ants on theses.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: zone9alady,

Life is a great big canvas...throw all the paint on it you can.
Danny Kaye

Posts: 7574 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: Feb 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Waverider ;)
posted Hide Post
Thanks Muddy for your detailed report on the "Feeding and Caring of Morning Glories 101", it was very kind of you!
I am going to write down some pertinent info and will try "one mo time".... I have many seeds and they germinate very well, even years later, so I will use them again. Thanks!
You are really a great gardener if you can make something as ordinary as Morning Glories look so spectacular.....
I have not seen a Cardinal in a very, very long time....Frown (I just thought of your great critter pics!!!)

Posts: 2545 | Location: "The Garden State", NJ ~ Zone 7 | Registered: Nov 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
Thanks! These were from last Oct. >
I have been busy with our new sheltie & health issues so not snapping many birdies this summer.

Picture of muddyshoes
posted Hide Post
The pair loved the suet.

Picture of mgt
posted Hide Post
Love all your pics, Muddy. And everyone's comments.

~~~~~~~~~~~~
"I've decided to quit my job, drop out of society, and wear live animals as hats."

Posts: 7866 | Location: Black Creek, WI Zone 5 | Registered: Sep 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post