Message Boards

Guidelines

• Please be sure posts are category appropriate.
  • No off-topic or off-color postings.
  • Postings may be deleted at the discretion of HGTV Moderators.
  • No advertising is allowed.
  • Be Nice. No name calling, personal attacks or flaming.
  • Certain words will trigger moderation of the post. These words mostly cover political and religious topics, which are OFF the topics covered by HGTV.
  • For general message board help, click the tab labeled "Tools," and choose "Help" from the dropdown menu.
Full Guidelines

HGTV.com
  HGTV Message Boards
Hop To Forum Categories   Outdoors
Hop To Forums   General Gardening
  cleaning pitch from snips and saw teeth....
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

cleaning pitch from snips and saw teeth.... Sign In/Join 
Picture of junk collector
posted
We removed a mostly dead tree this morning and the amount of pitch running from it was awful. My loppers are gummed up as are my smaller snips and a saw. What's the best approach for cleaning? Also got pitch on the sheltie, but that trimmed out easy!

Thanks for any advice!

Posts: 3341 | Registered: Aug 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of conrad
posted Hide Post
WD40 is a good cleaner. (not such a great lubricant alone, but a good cleaner, and won't hurt the metal at all)
We keep a can of straight spray silicone nearby when we trim with the electric hedge trimmers and all nippers, and spray the blades fairly often. This also is a great lubricant and helps keep sap from sticking.

Posts: 9638 | Location: Plains & Mountains | Registered: Jun 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I use Goo Gone, available in most paint departments. It will take most anything gooey off anything it is on.
We have LOTS of pine trees in our yard and I get pitch quite frequently on my hands or my gloves...it takes it off, but since it is sort of oily/greasy...you do need to wash afterwards.
It will also remove most paint splatters from woodwork or carpets. Removes tape residue, glue, etc.

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4942 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I thought of goo gone but not the wd 40. Do you let it sit and use a scrub brush or ??????

Our small yard has multiple trees, and while I don't know what type of tree this one was, it was so badly diseased the bark was peeling and big gobs of pitch all over. All of it was overgrown but the tools have never gotten this yucky.

Also, do you sharpen your own? The place we used went out of business.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: junk collector,

Picture of ga.karen
posted Hide Post
I give the Goo Gone a couple of minutes to soak in and then wash with soap & dry. Repeat if it was really thick & didn't all come off the first time.
After getting it off with the goo gone, I usually oil my tools just a bit to prevent rust.

Sorry, I forgot...I use a paper towel to wipe it off...and throw that away or put it in my compost.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ga.karen,

"The soil is the source of life, creativity, culture and real independence." David Ben-Gurion

Posts: 4942 | Location: SW Ga. 8b | Registered: Apr 21, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
OK. Great advice and thank you both! The whole shed needs a clean out and organizing, so I'll pull out any other tools and give all a cleaning.